Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: y'all i forgot it was wednesday again lol

also no gif again but please appreciate this picture of my dorm this morning when i saw a big ass cockroach and covered it with a bowl and detergent because it was 7 in the morning and i was running late for my lab and i couldn't call someone to come kill it

anyway, today's chapter is sponsored by tide (for legal reasons, i'm jk)

————————————————————
"Have you been working out lately?

You look great."
————————————————————

Adelaide didn't understand what everyone was whispering about during gym class today.

Every few minutes, she would look over and Vivian, Betty, MJ, and Flash were all talking about something together. She figured it was probably some kind of strategic planning for the game they were playing— capture the flag.

Coach Wilson blew his whistle, "Alright, everyone in their positions!"

The class divided back into their places in the gym, with half of the class on each side of the court. Peter was on the other team with Betty and MJ while Flash and Vivian were on her team. Ned had told Coach Wilson he had a stomach bug and wanted to sit out of the game so he was sitting on the bleachers, reading a book by himself, perfectly happy.

Coach Wilson blew his whistle again and everyone began running.

The goal was to get the flag on the other side of the gym without being tagged by the opposite team and Adelaide thought she was doing a pretty good job— until Flash intervened.

"Hey partner," he said, "I got you covered."

She gave him a strange look. She didn't need to be covered. She was doing just fine.

Still, Flash insisted and kept covering her anytime someone from the other team tried to tag her. She nearly tripped over his feet a couple times because he was always standing so close by. She tried to tell him to go bother someone else, but he wasn't hearing it.

Eventually, she did stumble over his feet and fell, her knees hitting the gym floor the exact second that someone caught the flag from their team, meaning they had lost. She winced, looking up. Peter was standing there, holding her team's flag up with a proud grin.

And then, Flash stepped into her vision, holding out his hand to help her up.

"Haven't you done enough?" she grumbled, taking his hand to help herself up. She was too busy glaring at Flash to notice Peter frowning at them from across the gym. She dusted her knees.

"Don't be such a killjoy," Flash grinned, "We're just getting started."

For some reason, Adelaide thought he wasn't just talking about the game.

Coach Wilson blew his whistle again and everyone jogged back onto their side of the gym. This time, Flash gave her some space— thank god. At least she could focus on the game which was admittedly one of her favorites. It was a low-risk version of being a spy and it was everything she was good at.

With her eye on the flag, she easily found herself on the opposite side of the gym, just a couple feet away from the flag. She was just about to grab it when she saw something that made her hesitate.