Chapter Seventeen

A/N: hellooo

i'm publishing this early bc ik my day is crazy busy tomorrow and i will definitely forget to publish it tomorrow

anyway, as usual, uni is keeping me busy but i'm sooo excited to see eternals soon especially bc now harry style's is thanos' brother??? stranger things have happened so

also, sorry for slacking on the gif in the header, i'm posting this from my phone :/

enjoy the chapterrr

————————————————————
"Correct me if I'm wrong,

but Riker's doesn't exactly have

any scenery that attracts tourists,

does it?"
————————————————————

"So, Phin, are you from New York?" Adelaide asked the girl.

She, Phin, and Vivian were all sitting together at a table inside Delmar's with their subs and math homework messily spread over the table as they worked on it together. In truth, however, they had been doing a lot more talking than homework. As it turned out, Phin was really nice.

"New Haven, actually," she said, slurping on her soft drink, "But I moved here after my uncle..." She paused suddenly as if remembering that she wasn't supposed to tell other people the end of that sentence.

"After my uncle was transferred here for his job," she said instead, glancing down at their homework.

"What does your uncle do?" Adelaide asked curiously. Phin avoided her gaze.

"He works for Fisk Industries," Phin said, catching herself before she said worked instead, "He's assistant to Wilson Fisk."

Until Fisk had him arrested for something he did instead of my uncle, Phin thought bitterly to herself. She realized she was gritting her teeth and she stopped.

"Wow," Adelaide said, caught off guard, "That's incredible."

"Yeah," Vivian agreed, "Fisk Inc. is a huge company."

A huge, corrupted company, Phin said in her head. If only the world knew how much tax evasion and black market dealing they did. She had overheard her uncle during his many conversations on the phone about where the money the company raised from charity galas and benefits went to. It was never to the organization they were claiming to support. No, all that money went to an offshore bank account, making Wilson Fisk wealthier and wealthier.

And the moment the authorities found something suspicious with the company's dealings, Fisk threw his uncle under the bus, claiming he had no idea that his assistant had been committing so much fraud right under his nose. It was Wilson Fisk's word against her uncle's.

So just like that, her uncle was being accused of embezzlement and tax evasion— crimes that Fisk had committed, but her uncle was paying for.

"Adelaide and I would love to show you around New York if you want," Vivian offered. Phin glanced between the two girls. Under literally any other circumstances, Phin could have possibly become great friends with these two. They were kind. And that was more than what Phin could say for most people she had met in her lifetime.

"That would be great," Phin smiled, causing Vivian to do the same.

Suddenly, Phin's phone began ringing. She hadn't saved the number as a contact, but she recognized it. Her stomach dropped. They wouldn't be calling her if something wasn't wrong.