Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N: merry christmas you guys!! wishing you all a very happy and safe day. hope you get lots of presents!!

here's a lil christmas present from me. it's kind of a short chapter but i hope you enjoy it!

————————————————————
"You deserve all the happiness

in the world. And frankly,

I think Peter is a wonderful boy."
————————————————————

The moment she saw that hurt look in his eyes, she instantly regretted getting into an argument with him. She wanted to apologize, but he was holed up in his lab and she had a feeling there was still some residual anger lingering around him and she should probably give him time before she tried making amends with him.

"No luck?" Adelaide asked when Pepper walked back into the room. The woman gave her a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry honey, he's still in his stubborn, I-don't-want-to-listen-to-any-logic stage right now," she said apologetically. Adelaide slumped back into the sofa, hopelessly staring up at the ceiling.

"Figures," she mumbled.

Pepper sat down beside her and when she didn't say anything, Adelaide turned her head to look at her. The woman was giving her a look that she used often at work to get her employees to tell the truth.

"You're giving me that look again," the teenager mumbled.

"What look? There is no look. I'm only curious about you and Peter, just like any sane person would be."

"Subtly is so not your strong suit," she said. Pepper smiled and patted her hand before settling into the sofa.

"Subtly never gets the job done. Now, tell me everything, and don't you even think about leaving out a single detail."

Adelaide sighed heavily and told Pepper about how it all started, leaving out all the details for obvious reasons. She didn't need to know just how many closets she and Peter had made out in. She definitely didn't need to know that she had spent the night at Peter's after they started
dating. When she was done, Pepper was smiling.

"You look happy," she smiled. Adelaide couldn't help but smile a little too.

"He makes me happy," she said quietly, averting her eyes and shrugging. Pepper reached forward and gently squeezed her hand.

"You deserve all the happiness in the world. And frankly, I think Peter is a wonderful boy," Pepper said.

"If only Tony felt the same way," Adelaide sighed.

"He'll come around. He's physically incapable of staying mad at you for too long," Pepper smiled and Adelaide returned it. She could only hope the woman was right.

"Now, I've heard from a couple of your teachers that you've been skipping class?" Pepper asked knowingly. Adelaide felt her face heating up. "Any valid reasons?"

"I...take long bathroom breaks?" she tried. The woman shook her head.

"Try again."

"I get lost," she said, "It's a big school."

"You're not a new student," Pepper said. Adelaide racked her brain.

"I...do drugs?" she said. The woman raised a judgmental eyebrow and the teenager sighed. "I...skip class with...Peter."