Chapter Fifty-Two

A/N: hi!

this chapter is the first couple scenes of endgame and it's a pretty decent length. it's kind of sad, they're all really going through a lot rn but it's not as sad as the last chapter. the next chapter def will be much sadder so just be prepared for that :((

————————————————————

"YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!"

————————————————————

"It's been twenty-three days since Thanos came to Earth," Rhodey said.

"World governments are in pieces, as you can imagine. But the parts that still work are trying to take a census. It looks like he did exactly what he said he was going to do," Natasha said, "Thanos wiped out...fifty percent of all living creatures."

Adelaide was sitting in the conference room with the rest of the team as they surveyed the damage. She was in a wheelchair with an IV drip in her arm. Her focus was going in and out, but there was a hologram with pictures of all those who had died. The casualties of their war. Some faces were familiar, some she'd never seen before.

Fury. Wanda. Strange. Clint's entire family. Quill. Drax. Mantis.

Peter Benjamin Parker.

She stared at his hologram. She hadn't seen his face in weeks. She couldn't remember the last time she'd gone this long without seeing him. She stared and stared at the hologram as tears filled her eyes until Rhodey noticed and finally turned it off.

"Where is he now? Where?" she heard Tony ask. He was also sitting in a wheelchair with an IV drip in his arm. Griffin was in the infirmary. He'd passed out the second his feet had his the grass. She hadn't spoken a word to him since Titan.

She stared at the desk in the room. In fact, she hadn't uttered a word since coming home. There was nothing left to say anymore. The only person she wanted was Peter. He was the only one she wanted to talk to. A part of her had been hoping he would be here waiting for her at the compound when she stumbled through the doors. Of course, he wasn't. She pathetically wished Rhodey would pull up his picture again so she could stare at it.

It. Not him.

She would never be able to look at him again. It would always have to be just pictures and memories. Things he left behind. He would never be here again, in the flesh with blood coursing through his veins and heat emanating from his body. He was always so warm and inviting when she curled up into his chest late at night or he wrapped his arms around her when she was cold.

They should have just left her on that stupid fucking planet.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through," Steve sighed.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony asked, referring to Thor sitting out on the patio with his head in his hands.

"Oh, he's pissed," another voice said, "He thinks he failed. Which, of course, he did. But there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second, I literally thought you were a Build-A-Bear," Tony told the talking raccoon who just shrugged as if that wasn't the first time someone had told him that.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks," Steve said, "deep space scans, satellites — we got nothing. Tony, you fought him—"

"Who told you that?" Tony said suddenly, "I didn't fight him, he wiped my face with a planet while a Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. There was no fight because he's not beatable."