Chapter Sixty-Six

A/N: hi!

super busy today so here's a longish chapter featuring america's ass, a couple of unbelievably hot assassins, and, well, griffin :)

————————————————————
"Just so you know,

Morgan's my favorite after this,"
————————————————————

"Adelaide, that's illegal," Rhodey told her later that night when she called him.

They needed entrance into the president's ball and Rhodey practically worked for him. Okay, maybe not worked for him. But he said Elis had invited him over to the White House for dinner once and Adelaide was eighty percent sure that he wasn't lying about it so if they had any shot at getting into this ball, it would have to be him.

"Not if it's for a good cause," she argued, poking her head into the fridge to scrounge for dinner. She nose wrinkled when she found nothing that fit her appetite.

"That's not really how laws work," he said. She sighed, closing the fridge to rummage the pantry instead. Her stomach grumbled.

"You said you owe me a birthday present. Well, this is what I want," she frowned. She turned the lights on in the pantry and scanned the shelves for potential dinner. If she had to actually go hunt in the wild for dinner, she'd definitely starve.

"I meant like a gift card or a new phone!" he said.

"Why would I need a gift card?" she mumbled, her expression twisting in confusion, "Tony gave me one of his credit cards. Do you want a gift card? Or a new phone? Or even a new car? It's kind of hard to max out his card so you can really ask me for anything."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. Your dad's rich. Why don't you just ask him to get you into the ball?" he said and she could practically hear him rolling his eyes.

"Because the government isn't my dad's biggest fan," she muttered, "Did you forget the big fight at an airport in Germany over that exact reason or should I remind you?"

"No need, my broken spine reminds me about enough already," he mumbled, "Regardless, Adelaide, it would be very difficult for me to even try to get your names on the entry list, if not impossible."

"Rhodey, people's lives are at stake here, we— oh, macaroni," she said, grabbing the instant macaroni box from the pantry. Well, the dinner problem was solved. Now for the other problem. "Come on, Rhodey, please. I promise it's for something important, you know that I wouldn't ask you otherwise."

Adelaide heard a very long sigh from the other side of the phone and she grinned.

"Is that a yes?" she asked.

"Fine. But if I get fired because of this—"

"I will personally come in and fight them to hire you back," she said, "Or you could always retire early and come live with us."

"The rest of us can't afford to retire early," he chuckled, "I'll let you know when it's done."

"Thank you," she said, "Really."

"Just so you know, Morgan's my favorite after this," he said.

"Sure she is," Adelaide smiled, "You like Hummers, right?"

"Very funny. You can't buy my love," he said and there was a small pause before he added, "In navy green. Bye, Adelaide."

"Bye," she smiled, hanging up the phone.