Chapter Thirteen

A/N: hi!

so i thought this chapter would be late, turns out i didn't have as much of it to write as i thought so i figured i'd just go ahead and publish it!

anyway, let's get right into it!

that's phin up there, btw

————————————————————
"You're a good kid, Phin.

Don't throw your life

away like I did, alright?"
————————————————————

When Peter joined the group during lunchtime in the cafeteria, he had a flashback of yesterday's decathlon meeting.

"Hey," Ada greeted when he saw him.

"Oh, hey Peter," Ned said.

Peter nervously glanced around. Oh, what the hell, he thought. If it meant that his and Ada's relationship would stay secret for a little longer, why not? So he leaned down to where Ada was sitting and kissed her cheek.

Then he stepped towards Vivian and did the same. She sat there, not moving but just staring in confusion at Ned. Reluctantly, Peter stepped towards Ned who already had his hand up in protest.

"H-Hey, hey, dude," he said, "I-I don't know where you got this whole trend from, but I'm not liking it."

"Yeah, it's a bit strange, Peter," Vivian said.

They all expectantly turned to Adelaide and she looked up, surprised they wanted her opinion. In her honest opinion, she didn't mind it at all. Not in the least. In fact, she wished Peter could kiss her whenever he wanted to, even at school. But only her. She didn't like the whole idea of him going around kissing everyone as a greeting.

"Y-Yeah," she said, realizing she had been taking too long to answer, "I don't like it." Peter gave her a look and she winced in apology, trying her best to say I'm sorry with her eyes.

"Well, if you guys really don't like it, I can stop," he sighed sadly, sitting down beside Ned who breathed in relief. That was one less awkward moment he'd have to live through. Little did he know that Peter was doing cartwheels inside with joy. He was off the hook.

Ada was right. One more slip up and they were toast.

"Have any of you talked to the new girl?" Vivian asked.

They all looked over at the table in the corner of the cafeteria where Phin Mason was sitting by herself, poking her food around and pretending to eat. She looked...sad.

"She kind of disappeared after the meeting yesterday," Ned said. Peter and Adelaide glanced discreetly at each other.

"Maybe we should invite her to sit with us," Vivian said. Ned agreed.

"Yeah," Adelaide said, standing up, "I'll go talk to her."

"I'll go with you," Peter said, standing up as well.

She looked at him for a moment, but he didn't say anything else. Call it a gut feeling or paranoia, but Peter wanted to be cautious of this girl. They both walked over to the table where she was seated. Adelaide noticed she was wearing the same clothes as yesterday. She didn't see them at first.

"Hey, Phin, right?" Adelaide asked, getting her attention. The girl looked up, surprised anyone was talking to her. Adelaide felt empathetic for the girl. She had been in her position before and luckily enough for her, Ned and Peter had helped her fit in.