Chapter Sixty-Seven

A/N: helloo

i've been so busy lately oh my god. i just want to curl up and read for hours and hours but i can't :((

anyway, here's a mediumish chapter with stuff i don't actually remember writing

————————————————————
"I've got a broken arm and

a bullet wound here. Unless you

smuggled more drugs in here,

yes, I want you to say it."
————————————————————

The doctor stepped out of the surgery room and Adelaide quickly stood up.

Steve and Natasha were right behind her. The teenager held her breath. She wasn't sure she was ready to hear the news yet. Especially if it was bad news. She didn't think she could possibly handle any more bad news for the rest of her life.

"He's going to be fine," the doctor said with a small smile and all the air rushed back into Adelaide's lungs, "We've given him some anesthesia, but he should be awake in an hour or so and be ready to go back home by tomorrow evening."

"Thank you, doctor," Natasha said.

The doctor nodded and walked away. Adelaide felt the assassin squeezing her hand and Steve clasping her shoulder. We're here, they seemed to say.

Adelaide peered into the window into the surgery room where the nurses were cleaning up their tools and such. Griffin was still unconscious on the table, but the bullet wound on his side was stitched up. It felt so strange to be the one outside the surgery room, looking in. It seemed that she was usually on the inside of that room, fighting for her life. And she would have been there tonight, if it weren't for Griffin.

Slowly, after the nurses left the room, she walked in and sat down in a chair beside him.

Adelaide let out a heavy, tired sigh. It had been an extremely long day. And this was just the cherry on top. She studied his sleeping face, wondering why he'd dived in front of her. Why he'd taken the bullet that had her name written on it. This was twice he'd saved her now, but couldn't afford to get her hopes up.

She'd been hurt enough times before, especially by him.

—————

"Fucking hell," Griffin groaned as he regained consciousness (A/N: idk but i imagine this sounding really hot. i mean he's not my brother lmao).

Adelaide lifted her head up from where she had rested it on her crossed forearms on the bed next to his shoulder. She blinked a couple times, trying to remember the last few hours. She must have fallen asleep waiting for him to wake up.

"I need more drugs," he mumbled, "This fucking hurts." Adelaide smiled a little.

"Tell me about it," she said. He turned his head to look at her. His dark eyes looked slightly worried.

"Are you hurt? Did you get shot?" Griffin asked and then glanced at the gauze wrapped around his abdomen, "They didn't accidentally perform surgery on me instead of you, did they?"

Despite herself, Adelaide laughed.

"Not that I know of," she said, "But I've had my fair share of getting shot. You're still one bullet wound behind me."

"Well, I have absolutely no intention of catching up," he muttered, letting his head fall back onto the pillow.

"How are you feeling?" she asked quietly. He gave her a look as if she had just asked a dumb question. She smiled a little. After taking down an entire crime syndicate and saving the First Lady's life, this was the moment her body chose to feel nervous. She chewed on her lower lip as silence settled over them. Her hands twisted together in her lap.