Chapter Seventy-Two

A/N: alright here's the chapter no one wants to read...

also here are some lovely edits from @AmaraRodriguez781227! thank you sm for them!

————————————————————

"I am Iron Man."

————————————————————

alright so we left off with a lovely reunion but, alas, happiness cannot survive here. we all know how this song goes.

tony steals the stones off of thanos's hand and just before he snaps his fingers, his eyes find adie's on the field, wide and terrified with a scream stuck in her throat as she realizes what he's about to do but she's too far away. she can't stop him. she can't save him.

just the same way she couldn't save her father henry.

just the same way she couldn't save graves when it mattered.

just the same way she couldn't save peter five years ago.

but this time, it was tony. and if she couldn't save him, she would never be able to save herself from the hell his death would bring.

that brief look is all she gets before he says the infamous line

"I am Iron Man."

then he snaps his fingers and the world explodes into light. light that she can control, but her powers are useless against this agonizing pain growing in her chest like a burning cancer.

and then she's running.

she's running and she's tripping but no one can stop her because it was tony. he had become an extension of herself, her heart beat in his body. if he died, her heart would stop altogether. 

when she reaches him, he's on the ground, propped up against something she can't bother to look at because all she sees is him. she's grabbing him, holding onto anything she can grasp with her shaking hands.