Chapter 3

A/N: I is late once again, I blame all the kids I introduced into this story. I have a hard time writing kids XD Anyways enjoy <3

Chapter 3

Simon's POV

Rowan had been futless the rest of the night. Had it not been for his ear-splitting crying, I would've chased after Vince. I had called out to him twice, maybe even more by the time Rowan had started mewling, but Vince's petrified look in his eyes was more harrowing than the crying child.

It started drizzling, the clouds looming dangerously low amongst the mountaintops, as I stared in the direction Vince had taken off. Breathing in and out I turned around to stare at the fallen gift bag he had left behind. A misshapen baby blue bow had fallen off the bag and the ribbon appeared to have been poorly curled. As I bent down to pick the bag up, Sam had stepped out onto the porch.

"You alright?" He asked, bouncing the sniveling Rowan up and down on his hip. "That was Vince?"

I nodded, giving them a soft smile, reaching my other hand out to hold Rowan's hand. His eyes were already swelling, red from the crying. "Yeah, he brought a gift."

"Are you going to go after him? Shall we wait for him?" Sam tilted his head, grabbing the bag with his other hand. "We can wait."

I shook my head, glancing at the spot where Vince had left before turning back to them. "It's alright, we should head back inside."

Rowan mewled in his arms before mumbling, "un un."

Shaking my head I held out my arms to pick Rowan up. He whined again, kicking his feet in protest. "Hey, bub. You want uncle to pick you up?"

He pouted as his bottom lip trembled. Scooping him up in my arms, he thrashed around a bit, reaching his arms out behind me. "No, un un!"

"I'm right here, buddy," I bounced him, grabbing his hand in mind. "Uncle right here, see?"

His pout deepened before he wailed in my ear. "No! Un un!"

Sam frowned before pointing to where Rowan was reaching his hands out. "I think he wants—"

"Vince." Sam nodded, Rowan crying louder at his name. Saying his name again and the thought of Rowan wanting him here too made my breath hitch. "It's okay, baby. I do too, but un un will visit soon, okay? You can see your other un un later."

He sniffled. "Un un?"

I hummed. "Yes, un un will be here later. You wanna see mama? Mama and dada have some presents and nom noms for you. You want mama?"

He whimpered before nodding. "Mama."

Rowan's pout was slowly upturning finally, and we let out a sigh of relief. He sniffled a few times but seemed to calm at the mention of Sarah and Aspen. Sam ruffled his hair before opening the door for us, Aspen sparing us a worried glance. Sarah had been helping Jonah and Lilah with their slices of cake as Aspen mind-linked me. Vince?

I nodded. Rowan wanted to see him too, but he took off. He brought a gift, though. Aspen pursed his lips at that.

"Maybe we should open the gifts, distract him from it," I suggested. Aspen scooped up Rowan in his arms, the one-year-old slumping his head into his chest as if ready for a nap. "It's almost his bedtime anyway, right?"

"Sure," he replied, walking over to where Sarah was sitting with Jonah and Lilah on the floor, a mini table set up for the kids. Xavier was situated behind them on the couch, a soft smile adorning his face before he glanced at us.

"Ro Ro," he cooed. "You ready for present time?"

Shifting in Aspen's arms, he glanced at Xavier before nodding. Xavier grinned before pulling out three presents next to the couch, wrapped rather poorly in matching wrapping paper. "Wanna open these first?"