Chapter 10

A/N: A long one that took too long lmao, but as promised, le reunion ✨(although not a total fan of how it turned out) 

Vince's POV

"Your son," I told Arthur as he drove over the dirt road. "You've never met him then?"

Arthur's hands clenched the steering wheel tightly. "Once, he was an infant then. Hardly a few months old."

"She never told you his name?"

He shook his head. "I told her to decide."

"What would you do if you found him?"

"What is there to do? I don't expect much, I've never been a part of his life. To suddenly enter it at this point would probably anger him."

"But he's your son."

Arthur slowed the car. "And I've never been a father to him. It would be too much to ask for a relationship—or anything at this point."

As much as I wanted to argue, he had a point. With that, Arthur drove a little faster, approaching the gates to the New Moon pack. The betas spared a curious glance at Arthur but ushered us inside once they saw me. Arthur pulled into the parking lot abruptly, his tires screeching as he pulled into a stall.

Through the rearview mirror, an angry-looking Aspen approached the car. Arthur observed him as he stepped closer, a curious look passing between them as Aspen neared the passenger side door. Arthur's gaze lingered for a second before staring out the front window, almost zoning out. Aspen turned to point a finger at me.

"Where the hell have you been?" Aspen shrilled as he reared his head toward me. "Do you know how worried people were?"

I glanced at him sheepishly, spotting Sarah and Rowan behind them. Rowan was sound asleep in her arms as she bounced him. "I know, alright. I'm here now."

He scoffed before looking between me and Arthur through the window. "Who the hell is this?"

Arthur, who had remained still at the wheel, finally turned to address him. I cleared my throat. "This is the northern pack's beta, Arthur. I've been there this whole time."

Aspen narrowed his eyes at him before sighing. "Sarah and I already visited her. Xavier's in there now. Go."

Letting out a shaky breath, I nodded. As I unbuckled the seatbelt, I looked to Arthur, who hadn't moved since we got here. "Aren't you coming? You said you knew her. You were close at one point, I thought."

He raised a brow. "It's not my place. Go, your brother's waiting."

"But—"

He shook his head. "I doubt she'd even remember me, Vince. Go."

I frowned but opened the door, thanking Arthur before heading to the pack hospital. Aspen hadn't followed, and Arthur hadn't driven off, but I had to focus on more important things. A few of the pack members saw me, a couple bowing their heads as if offering condolences. It didn't make me feel better, instead, my feet went faster. I needed to see her.

It was only a couple minutes of walking, but it felt like a couple of minutes too long as I walked into the building, the nurses pointing toward her room, even though I knew exactly where it was.

Before I even turned down the hallway, I could hear Xavier's cries, and I had to remember to breathe. How long had he been here alone, was she already—

I gulped, before taking laborious steps toward the door. Even the breathing exercises Chase had taught me weren't helping as I slid the heavy door opened. Xavier, who was seated beside the bed had jerked his head toward the door, a sob escaping him as he met my face. He pushed the chair back as I stepped in, closing the door behind me. I was grateful that the faint sound of the machines was still beeping. She was alive. She was still here, I hadn't been too late.