Chapter 30

A/N: enjoy <3

I met up with Simon outside after chatting with Xavier for a little longer. We discussed some details he planned out for the pack relations with the southern packs before realizing he needed to pick up Jonah and Lilah from Grant and Dwaine's place.

"How was Aspen?" I asked him as he looped his arm around mine.

"Taking it fairly well," he said. "Though, I imagine it's still a bit of a shock. We discussed the pros and cons of meeting with him and what that'll mean for him and Cedar."

That wasn't surprising, given Aspen's nature. He was always thinking ahead, thinking of the possible threats and impacts something would have over his and other people's lives. However, I was sure that Simon was the one who led the potential benefits of meeting with Arthur.

"I'm guessing he's going to sit on the idea of meeting with him for at least a week?"

"Actually, he's leaning toward the idea of meeting with him," Simon said. "Preferably sooner than later."

"Sooner?"

Simon nodded. "He'd rather rip off the bandaid, as he said. If he lets the idea sit too long, he'll convince himself out of it. Once he decides to block him out completely, Aspen would be less inclined to try and reach out to Arthur again."

"I can give him a call in the morning."

"Perfect." Simon patted my upper arm. "It'd probably be best here, though; you know how Aspen is with packs in general. He'll feel slightly more comfortable if it's held here than an entirely new and unfamiliar territory."

"That's fair," I agreed. "We could be there to help fill in the gaps or moderate if need be."

"I'm sure Arthur will be fine; I worry about Aspen," Simon admitted. "Though he likes to think he'll be level-headed, he's quick to judge and probably harbors some residual anger about the whole situation."

"Aspen means well, though," I said. "I'm sure he'll be more willing to listen with you there; even having Sarah there might calm him down."

Simon nodded. "Definitely. You hungry? It's been quite a day, and I didn't want to raid Aspen's kitchen while I was there."

"We could eat out," I suggested. "Give Loreta a break for once."

He laughed before interlocking our fingers together. "Cindy's?"

"Sure."

"How was Xavier doing? Still stressed as always?" Simon glanced over his shoulder as we headed to the parking lot.

"The kids are giving him a run for it," I told him. "But his work with the other packs is really coming together, that's for sure."

Simon smiled. "Those peace treaties he mentioned are going to help a lot of people."

I couldn't agree more. Not only would it encourage and ease tensions between packs over mated couples, but rogues would have a better chance at receiving aid or rehabilitation.

Just thinking about how much these changes could have helped someone like Simon made me regret not ever pushing for the peace treaties—I regret letting the council put down those ideas in the first place.

I didn't realize I had stopped walking until Simon squeezed my hand, urging me forward. Even on the car ride to Cindy's, his hand never left mine.

---

Cindy's Diner wasn't busy when we arrived, just the occasional truck drivers or young couple inside. The door was still the same as ever, and as we checked in with the hostess, I spotted Cindy in the back carrying a tray of food out to one of the tables.