Chapter 38

A/N: Apologies for the delay. I was on a brief trip and burnout from finishing ONC. I've also decided to write a new story (shocker) for another contest (which should be out soon). You can find a sneak peek of the new story on my Patreon (for free).

Vince POV

Sam didn't strike me as someone who would listen to 80's classics, but I guess I should've guessed that his taste in music would match Cindy's diner—he practically lived there.

With many miscellaneous supplies and boxes in my lap, it wasn't like I could reach over and change the channel either if I wanted. The music didn't bother me, as it helped fill the silence once we had sat in the car and driven off the pack's premises. Normally, silent car rides were fine; I preferred it over chaotic car rides with Xavier, but being alone with Sam was still awkward.

Whether Sam thought the same, he didn't give any indication. Before I could try and fill the silence during a break in one of the songs, Sam said cooly, "I'm surprised you're taking the news well."

I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes before fixating on the road. "Truthfully, I was wondering what was taking so long. I may be oblivious sometimes, but even I could see something between you two."

He laughed. "Yeah, well, Xavier's been stressed lately with pack business, and I thought it was best he figures things out for himself at his own pace. Didn't want to overwhelm him and suggest we become official when he's got so many things on his plate."

"If I'm being honest, I think he likes keeping busy. Working under pressure is what got him to make all these changes within our pack so far."

Sam nodded as we reached a red light. "True, though I am quite surprised that Xavier brought it up first."

"About being official?" With Sam's cheeky smile, I scoffed. There was no way. "He brought it up first?"

"Caught me off guard," Sam admitted as his eyes focused back on the road. "Wasn't that long ago, either."

"When was this? There's no way Xavier would've been able to keep this a secret for long."

"Right after he met with the alpha from the South."

I blinked, my mind drifting back to my conversation with Xavier over the phone. "He actually took my advice?"

"Does he not usually?"

Sam pulled into the clinic's parking lot. "I didn't think he'd listen right after."

If I was being honest, I thought it'd take at least six months for Xavier even to consider my advice about telling Sam his feelings. The fact it took him maybe six minutes? Damn, it felt nice.

Sam must've noticed by the grin on my face that it was rare for Xavier to take my advice—or at least not this type of advice. He nudged my shoulder. "Come on, let's get the supplies in."

Struggling with the seatbelt with all the boxes on my lap, Sam walked around to grab a few boxes, setting them on the hood of his truck. One of Sam's front desk workers stepped out to help with the other supplies.

"There's not a whole lot of storage; we've got a whole bunch of patients this past week, so we've had to set up some temporary kennels and cages in our normal storage areas," one of his staff said. "I'll show you where."

It wasn't long until we squeezed the boxes into a corner, finding other spots in the small clinic to put the bigger pieces of equipment.

"Thanks again," Sam said as we leaned against one of the tables—curious patients watching us through the kennels.