Chapter 32

A/N: idk why I struggled with this chapter (probably because both of their names started with A and I didn't know how to include Simon more into the dialogue, but oh well XD). Here's a little insight into Arthur's backstory (by no means the entirety of the situation). The next two chapters should be a little more exciting though <3

Simon's POV

Aspen had always prided himself in being the steady rock between the three of us when we lived together, but this proved entirely different. I couldn't blame him; meeting your father, who had been absent from your entire life, wasn't an everyday occurrence and certainly was the biggest and most uncomfortable thing he's had to face.

Yet, when Aspen insisted that he wanted me and Vince in the room, I hadn't expected the admission.

While Vince and Aspen were trying to get along as of late, I hadn't anticipated Aspen to be open to the idea of letting him into a space where vulnerabilities and deeply personal information were to be exposed and laid out between him and Arthur.

I was sure to tease Aspen about his willingness to rely on Vince later if Aspen could get through this first.

Vince had already met with Arthur earlier today to sign the treaty papers and had him get situated in the council room before we brought Aspen up to introduce them. I was beginning to wonder if we should have gotten the meeting done before the treaty papers, with how anxious Aspen was on his way there.

He wrapped his arm around mine, gripping my forearm like a lifeline. Vince flanked his other side, and I caught Aspen reaching for Vince's shoulders a few times on our way up the pack house's stairs. Aspen's hand never made contact, but Vince didn't shy away, even raising a brow at the action and stepping closer; a silent permission if Aspen needed the extra comfort.

Aspen's nerves escalated as we reached the doors to the council room, evident by his sweaty palms and shaky breaths.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked quietly. "You don't have to force yourself."

He shook his head. "No, let's do this. I said I'd do it, and I'm not about to back out now."

Vince pursed his lips. "I can always ask him to do this later."

"No," Aspen insisted, motioning to the door. "Let's just get this over with."

Vince spared a glance between us before moving to open the doors. Arthur was seated alone on the left-hand side, and as we made eye contact, he pushed his chair back to stand. Even from across the room, I could spot the similarities between Aspen's and Arthur's faces. Angular, with high cheekbones and piercing eyes.

The only difference was that Arthur's smile was softer, kinder even. Aspen didn't smile or even relax as we guided Aspen to the seats in front of him. Aspen treated him like he treated any other stranger, with quiet suspicion, even as Arthur turned to introduce himself.

He turned to me first, extending his hand out, which I met halfway across the table. "Arthur. You must be Simon. Vince has told me a lot about you."

Vince squirmed in his seat beside me, a stark contrast to the stiff Aspen on my other side.

"Likewise," I said.

"It's nice to meet you finally, Simon. You as well, Aspen," he said before turning to Aspen with an extended hand. Aspen stared at it, his eyes trailing up to meet Arthur's face before falling back to the hand in front of him. His hand squeezed my arm tighter.

Arthur pulled his hand back, accepting that Aspen wouldn't reciprocate his handshake.

Vince cleared his throat. "Thank you again for agreeing to meet on such short notice."