Chapter 7

A/N: Sorry it's late y'all! Feel free to check out my latest short story I wrote for a contest. Proud to say it won in characterization and plot :) Anyways, here's to hopefully quicker updates, love y'all <3

Chapter 7

Simon's POV

I had long given up on worrying about Sam's incessant and potentially fatal sugar intake as he devoured his eighth plate of strawberry waffles that week from Cindy's. How he didn't have diabetes or any other serious disease was beyond me.

"You've got a bit of whip cream on your face," I told him, pointing my index finger at his cheek. Almost guffawing, his hand reached up but missed the spot, even after three attempts.

"Did I get it?"

I rolled my eyes before grabbing the napkin. Bringing it to his cheek, my hand hesitated, a sense of deja vu rushing through me. Vince and I had a similar moment like this; Vince reaching out to wipe something from my cheek. It was followed by our first kiss.

Almost noticing my hesitation, Sam reached over to grab the napkin before I could reach his face, wiping the mess off his face. Without a beat, that gentle smile returned on his face, almost amused by this fiasco, totally oblivious to the frown and furrowed brow from remembering that memory. "Thanks, dear."

I gave him a half-smile before nodding along, poking the remnants of my breakfast.

The silence didn't last long as Sam tapped the table in front of my plate. "What's on your mind?"

With a slight clang, I set the fork aside. He continued the gesture, adding the rest of his fingers, drumming a mindless pattern. "Sorry. Just a lot, I guess."

He hummed, not voicing it but the way his fingers slowed, I could tell he caught on. Vince. The unread messages. Our relationship.

"I don't know why—" I blurted, letting out a frustrated groan. "Why does it bother me so much? I don't need to hear a response from him, but it just gets on my nerves, I guess. It's been a couple days since I sent it and he hasn't even opened the message, it just seems odd."

He nodded, his frown deepening.

"Maybe I'm just overreacting, but it feels like my wolf is just as anxious. Whining in the middle of the night, when usually he's just napping."

He opened his mouth to say something, but Cindy returned to our table, the black notepad in her hand. Her apon was donning some coffee stains and flour, even though it was barely half past twelve noon. "Well, that certainly should have quenched your sweet tooth, dear. Hope both of you enjoyed your meal today. Shall I expect you again tomorrow? I'll make sure to provide some extra bacon and strawberries for the two of you."

Sam beamed at the idea of returning tomorrow, which earned a light slap to the shoulder. He rolled his eyes before addressing Cindy again. "I better eat a salad tomorrow, non-doctor orders. Strict diet this one has provided me."

We laughed at that before Sam gestured to the check. Cindy winked at the both of us before turning to Sam, handing the check to him. "Don't forget to invite us to the wedding, you hear me mister?"

"Oh, we're not together, Cin." I looked between the two, tilting my head in confusion. Sam had always let her playful teasing and banter about us carry on; never did he try to correct her, the other waiters, or anyone else for that matter. "Just really close friends."

Her hand reached her face, covering her mouth in shock. Sam let out a nervous laugh at her reaction. "Oh! My apologies dear, I just thought—"

"It's fine," I reassured her, smiling for added measure. "We kind-of just decided that..."