Chapter 20

A/N: we're nearing the halfway mark 👀 (based on my estimated 44 chapter outline lol). Like In a Heartbeat, I'm splitting this into two parts. Part one is almost done! In the meantime, feel free to check out the discord server I'm in, the Literary Lounge. Link in bio! (come say hi in my author corner or say hi to all the other amazing authors there too. I like to spoil things in my channel XD)

Simon's POV

By the time we had cleaned up the kitchen and indulged in more brownies and whipped cream than necessary, the whole packhouse seemed asleep. Aside from the sounds of the kitchen appliances, it was calm and quiet throughout the building.

Vince was still reeling about the Sam and Xavier thing and that they hadn't left the building the entire time since we finished cleaning up our mess.

"How long did you know?" he asked as we leaned against the kitchen counter shoulder to shoulder.

I hummed. "Nothing was confirmed, but Sam invited Xavier over to his apartment even while I was living there. Called him cute and whatnot. It doesn't help that Xavier is a completely open book and can't lie to save his life."

Vince huffed as he shook his head. "Literally right under my nose."

"A little," I admitted. "I think they hit it off right from the start, though. They get along, and I'd think you agree that Xavier and Sam complement each other—aside from that, neither of them can work the kitchen."

"I hope we do," he said, his hand finding mine. "Compliment each other, I mean."

Pushing myself off the counter, I turned to pin him between my arms. "Do you even have to ask that?"

He sucked in a breath. "I mean—"

"Of course, we do," I told him, watching in amusement as he seemed to squirm, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as his eyes avoided my gaze. I stepped closer to him, not even a few inches between us, my lips hovering just below his. "Don't we?"

Maybe it had been through the bond, but I swore I could hear his heart hammering against his chest as he looked at me. A soft hum spilled from him just as I leaned forward, enrapturing us in a kiss. My hands reached his back, pulling him toward me as he sunk into my arms. After messily falling into a rhythm of taking the lead and pulling back, his hands left the counter, cradling the back of my head, wholly lost in the heat of the moment. Making a sound of content and flushing our bodies together, it was needless to say that we had forgotten all about our surroundings, unaware that anyone could've come down here for a midnight snack and stumble upon us devouring each other.

Not like I cared, especially when the sweet taste of Vince's lips was the best feeling in the world—second only to the sense of the bond intensifying between us by the second. Our breaths were labored as we parted, placing a chaste kiss against his bottom lip before looking up at his blue eyes.

We didn't have to say anything as our eyes trailed to the hallway Sam and Xavier had walked down with the same idea. Let's head upstairs.

I tilted my head in the direction with a playful smirk, our hands finding each other.

We took our time climbing the stairs, careful not to wake the entire packhouse, with fingers intertwined, pausing at the landings to marry our lips again.

Parting breathlessly, I led us up the last set of stairs, nearly stumbling over the previous step in excitement.

My hands reached his face before we could close the bedroom door, pulling it down for another intoxicating kiss. I still smelled the whipped cream from earlier as I directed him toward the wall behind him, pressing up against him as I had in the kitchen downstairs. His hands fell to my waist, gently kissing me back steadily.