Chapter 40

A/N: these scenes are so hard to write, lmao. Anyways, enjoy <3. This will continue in the next one ;)

Simon's POV

While I had intended for us to be at each other's throats as soon as we entered our room, a crazy idea popped into my head before we reached the stairs in the pack house.

"Let's dance," I suggested, interlocking our fingers as the door shut behind us.

Vince's head tilted. "Dance?"

I hummed, placing my hands along his shoulders. They tensed for a second before melting under my hands. "It'll be fun, I promise."

"I can't dance," he admitted, resting his hands on my waist.

Resting my head against his shoulder, I let us sway to non-existent music. "Neither can I."

We'd best start practicing for our first dance, I almost added. Talking about weddings would probably overwhelm him already if this hadn't.

"Why do I find that hard to believe?" he muttered under his breath. "You seem to know what you're doing."

I laughed. "It's just stepping. Nothing fancy."

He hummed, an incredulous look flashing on his face as he continued to sway, following my steps. If anything, it resembled a sloppy waltz, but I didn't care; seeing him relax and unwind like this was a gift in of itself. Though he seemed to enjoy the attention at his birthday party, I could tell some of it was overwhelming. It was all new to him, and with that many people, I could see the small walls he was projecting to some of them.

He deserved some privacy after being in such a spotlight all these years. Here, it was just us.

I let the silence and my presence calm him down, letting the steady sway of our bodies give him the space to relax his mind and body.

When he was ready, he whispered, "Simon."

"Yes?" I looked up at him, his eyes almost giving himself away.

"You're sure of this?"

The concern was something I was used to, the doubt and residual fears still weighing in his mind. Though, I understood his apprehension. To others, this may have been too soon, considering we only recently reconciled. But the connection and bond strumming between us transcended all of it. We knew this was the next step, knew this was exactly what we wanted. Vince just needed a little reminding and encouragement to go after the things he had believed in pushing down all those years. With me, he didn't need to hold back. And if he weren't ready for this, I wouldn't push it.

But judging by the look in his eyes, he was ready, too, merely asking out of habit.

"A hundred percent," I reassured. "Hundred and ten, actually."

A faint chuckle escaped him. "I don't know how a birthday could get any better than this."

"I'll get creative," I teased before pressing my lips to his. I let him lead as I pulled our bodies close, mentally cursing the clothes still on us. My patience for bearing his mark was waning; we weren't getting any younger, but I didn't want to rush either. Being here, wrapped in his arms as we swayed to invisible music, felt right.

One of his hands intertwined with mine, his eyes traveling to our bed.

"Let me," he said, guiding me to the edge of the bed, his hand leaving a trail of goosebumps. Before I could question it, he knelt between my knees, with one hand on my knee and another circling around my lower back. I sucked in a breath at seeing him looking up at me with desire. "I want to treat you. Like you did for me last time."