Chapter 28

A/N:

Simon's POV

"Let's not think too rashly, first," I told him. "If we were to tell him, what would that do?"

"He'd think we were crazy," Vince agreed. "Though, shouldn't he know at least? Or Arthur?"

"There's still a small possibility that it is a coincidence," I said, though I was sure this couldn't all be a coincidence. "I don't think we could confirm, but if it is true, Arthur would be able to, right? Aspen hasn't told me everything about her either; it's always been a sensitive topic."

Vince nodded. "If Arthur and Willow had a relationship, then he'd know enough to confirm it."

"But springing up the existence of his father, who he thought was dead, would be a shock."

Vince pursed his lips. "Yeah."

"We'll bring it up to him first," I suggested. "Ease him into the news, and let him decide if we tell Arthur. It's only fair."

Vince slowly nodded. "Let's not bring up the heir thing right out the gate."

"Probably for the best." I rolled my eyes. "He'll probably let it get to his head."

He smiled at that. "He must take after his mother, then. Arthur's been adamant about letting Clayton lead the pack. He doesn't like being referred to as the alpha. Clayton would seem more like Aspen than Arthur if I didn't know better."

"Does Arthur even look like him?"

Vince blinked, pursing his lips as if it would help him. "Now that I think about it, a little. Their eyes, the dark hair. Both are intimidating but in different ways. Arthur is the more silent-but-deadly type of scary. Aspen isn't afraid to speak his mind."

I laughed. "For sure. Though Aspen's silent treatment is terrifying."

Vince's eyes widened. "Fucking mortifying."

___

"I'll text him if we can come over."

Aspen responded to me in two minutes, saying he wouldn't mind the visit. Sarah would be out with Rowan shopping, but we were welcome to join him in the meantime.

After rehearsing the steps in which we'd bring them up to Aspen, Vince was noticeably more and more anxious as we made our way to Aspen's place. Half wondering if maybe postponing this for another day was a better idea, I knew Aspen would be upset that we withheld something from him longer than we needed to.

"You scared?" I asked as I turned the corner, Aspen's house in view.

"What?" He shook his head. "Of course not."

"I know Aspen can be intimidating; you don't have to be scared of him."

Vince scoffed. "I'm not."

"Your hand is sweaty," I told him, squeezing his hand.

"Okay, fine. Normally, he doesn't scare me. Or not all the time. But dropping this on him? Who knows how he'll react."

I tugged on his hand, stepping in front of him. "If you'd like, I could talk to him myself. I can handle him."

"No, I should go. After all, Arthur told me about this in the first place. I won't have all the answers, but it'd probably be best for me."

"Okay." The concern on his face was still there, but Vince did have a point; I hardly knew anything about Arthur.

Aspen glanced between us at the door, his eyes darting with a pointed look. "What is this?"

I laughed nervously. "What, I can't come and visit you?"