Chapter 16

A/N: Thanks for waiting so long, here's some fluff <3

Simon's POV

Vince was tracing circles along the back of my hand in the morning when I finally stirred awake. "Morning."

I mumbled it back to him as my eyes adjusted to the early sunlight, my fingers curling into him as one would with a pillow. "What time is it?"

"Almost noon."

"Noon." I lifted my head to look at him, groaning when I saw the clock on the nightstand. "Goddess, I slept in late; you should've woken me up."

"I didn't want to wake you." He pouted slightly. "You seemed so relaxed, and well, cute."

I blinked. Did I hear him right? "Cute?"

His mouth gaped before turning his head away from me altogether. Still, I could see the way his ears were tinged red that he probably hadn't intended to say it aloud; that, or he didn't think I'd point it out.

"I don't think you've called me cute before," I teased. "If I had known calling you cute and sweet would make you say the same about me, I would've done it sooner."

He made a distressed sound, somewhere between a groan and a whine before covering his face with his free hand. In protest, I was holding his other arm hostage, hoping if I squeezed tighter, he'd look at me again.

"I'm not letting you go until you say it again." I frowned, even though he was still avoiding looking at me. "To my face this time."

He glanced at me quickly before turning away again; his cheeks were still pink. Vince let out a pathetic "no" in protest.

"I mean it," I told him. "We can stay here all day if you want. Just call me cute one more time while looking me in the eyes."

He finally turned his head to look at me with a frown that resembled a puppy dog face had it not been for his rosy cheeks. Normally, I'd let it go and say he didn't have to do things like this, but this was priceless. Trying to suppress a laugh, I gave him a stern look, hoping the raised corners of my lips weren't giving it away.

"Simon," he said in a vulnerable way that made my heart skip a beat. It was like a gentle whisper, leaving goosebumps along my arms that I'm certain he could feel with my arm holding him against me. The teasing smug face I had tried to uphold deflated, leaving a stunned expression that I was certain rivaled his own just a moment ago. I was sure my cheeks had also pinked as he looked at me with those blue orbs with such tenderness as how he said my name.

"Yes?" I managed.

He gulped, his eyes wandering before settling on my own, realizing I was serious about keeping him hostage here in this bed until he finally said it. He breathed in and out deeply before finally saying, "I find you cute."

Immediately after, he shut his eyes, letting out a short nervous laugh before opening them and continuing, "and—and sweet too."

I hummed, lessening my grip on his arm as his eyes continued to look at me.

"Almost too sweet," he said softly. "Perfect, even."

I raised a brow. "Perfect? I don't think anyone is necessarily perfect, but thank you."

"Then perfect for me," he said, blinking as if he shocked himself with those words. He pursed his lips before nodding. "For me, you are."

My expression softened, practically melting at his words and how he was saying it to me directly like this, so honest and raw. "Thank you, Vince."

His lips pulled into a gentle smile. "I mean that."

"I know."

His eyes looked away for a second before returning to my eyes. "It's just sometimes I think it's too perfect."