Chapter 35

A/N: a bit on the short side, but the next chapter will be longer ;)

Simon's POV

Certain that my cheeks were still red from earlier, I had suggested cleaning up after Rowan's toys, trying to fan my face in a futile attempt at hiding the blush from earlier.

While I had no clue what possessed me to ask Vince about the mark, his response had been unexpected in several ways. He hadn't looked surprised at the question, merely pondering it for a second before saying yes. While in his head, I assumed he mulled it over, I thought back to the time I had first brought it up to him a couple of years ago; I didn't think he'd be so straightforward with his answer.

That, and openly discussing our future together, was endearing. All those years of wondering and dreaming of being in love and finding my happy ending was falling into place. Watching Rowan playing with his colored blocks and dolls reminded me of a time when I'd imagine all sorts of scenarios with my siblings—creating our own families and tea parties, pretending to act out marriages and dates, and envisioning our futures with our mates.

While the arduous journey to that vision was long, no imaginative scenario from my childhood could have prepared me for what being with my mate was like.

Lost in my past and childhood memories, it took a few seconds to notice the sound in Rowan's room. A loud thud, followed by a groan and the sound of Rowan letting out a faint cry. Ice filled my veins as a dull ache from the side of my head blossomed. Vince.

The blocks in my hand fell to the floor as I crossed the room, rushing to the bedroom to find Vince hunched over, the five-drawer dresser at a forty-five-degree angle, the top drawer almost fully extended. Rowan was in his arms, fully enveloped from being crushed by the dresser.

My lip quivered, not even sure I could make a sound, but Vince's head tilted just enough to spot me in the doorway.

"Can you grab him?" Vince said weakly, his grip threatening to slip under the dresser's weight. "Please."

My legs stumbled forward, reaching out to grab Rowan, but the sound of one of the other drawers shifting startled me. Vince's grip on Rowan loosened as I pulled him out of his embrace, turning him around to hold him to my chest. Once Rowan was secured, I pushed the drawer back in with my other hand. "Are you alright?"

He mumbled something incoherent and readjusted his grip and stance, slowly tilting the dresser back up. Rowan mewled, his torso turning as if to get down, but my grip on him tightened, still terrified at what could have happened.

That was when I realized what Rowan was fussing over. A speck of blood was on Rowan's cheek. His pout deepened, tears welling in his eyes as I searched Rowan's hair and face for blood, only to realize there was no wound on him.

Vine turned to face me, and that was when I saw it.

"You're bleeding," I exclaimed, touching his cheek to get a better look at the side of his face.

Vince blinked, the trail of blood pooling by his temple, slowly dripping down the side of his face. He reached a hand to his face, wincing as he touched his temple and looked at the blood on his hands. "Shit, it was probably the corner of the dresser or one of the handles. Is he okay?"

I nodded, smoothing Rowan's hair down. "Yeah, but your face...."

"It's not that bad," he tried to reassure. "It's already healing."

I gulped, still processing everything as he reset the dresser, grabbing some fallen items from the floor to put on top of the dresser. "Still, let's clean it up first. Rowan's got some on his face."