Chapter 42

Vince POV

Given my knack for disappearing, as Xavier called it, I trod down the steps from our room to inform my brother that I'd run with Simon in the woods. Our wolves had had enough of our lounging around and were looking to expend some energy in their forms, to which we agreed after a quick bite to eat and freshen up. Simon stayed to shower as I went to the kitchen to find something to eat.

It seemed Xavier also slept in with his tussled hair and wrinkled oversized shirt that looked suspiciously like a shirt Sam had worn before. In one hand was his phone, the other holding a pastry Loreta likely left out on the counter.

"Rough night?" I sent him a knowing look.

"No," Xavier said, then cleared his throat. "I mean, yes, but not what you're implying. The kids wanted to play at two in the morning. I think they got into the sugar cookies I bought."

"You should know to hide your stash of goodies better. They're only getting smarter."

"And taller," Xavier added. "I swear Jonah's grown a foot since last year."

Quite the exaggeration, but their growth spurts did seem abnormal for their ages. Then again, from the records of their birth parents, there's no doubt that they'd likely tower over Xavier by the time they're teens.

"Soon, they'll be able to steal all your cookies and hide them out of reach from you."

Xavier groaned. "Don't get me started. I think I can already fit into Jonah's clothes at this point. It's not like he eats that much either; I don't get it."

"Or, maybe you're shrinking."

"Whatever." Xavier finished the danish in a few small bites before eyeing the staircase behind me. "Enough about my height; I imagine last night was exhausting for other reasons. Good reasons, though."

"You could say that." I grinned, turning slightly so he could see the mark.

Xavier sucked in a breath as his eyes widened at the mark. "Oh, you really did have a good night. No wonder Simon's still sleeping."

"He's up, but he told me he'd wash up before coming down."

He hummed."How was it?" He cleared his throat, waving his hand in the air between us. "Not the details, obviously. Just with the mark and bond. Was it as incredible as everyone makes it sound?"

"Yes. Everything you could imagine and more," I said without hesitation.

Though Xavier's grin and excitement for Simon and me seemed genuine, the look in his eyes held something else. A tinge of sadness.

"Xav?"

He blinked, and again as if it would steer whatever thoughts in his head were forming away. But my underlying worry for him couldn't let it go. "Is this about Sam?"

The tilt of his head and the way his eyes looked at the ground spoke volumes.

"Did he say something?"

"No," Xavier said. "He left after the party for an emergency work call. I was just wondering what it was like. Or if it was even possible with him—if he'd even want that, I mean."

"You are serious with him, then. If you're thinking this much about it."

"I mean, yeah." He sighed. "I just hope that it will be the same."

"It's not like there haven't been werewolves with human mates."

He opened and closed his mouth before finally adding, "But we're not."

Pinching my lip between my teeth, guilt settled in my core. It wasn't that I had forgotten they weren't mates, but Xavier had never brought it up after he discovered who was his mate. Regret at even bringing up mates lingered as the sounds of wolves approached the pack house. Betas, I don't recognize, entered mid-conversation before realizing the two of us were in there. Most saluted or bowed their head in greeting.