Chapter 24

A/N: took a bit of time figuring out where to go with this, but hopefully, it's a cute little moment before things turn *cough cough* spicy *cough cough* I just hope I can pull it off for you all <3

Simon's POV

Vince returned sometime in the middle of the night as his wolf eventually returned to slumber. I remembered the piercing blue eyes that looked up at me with concern as we remained embraced on the couch, silently asking if everything had been okay. Had I not had my arms around him, I was sure he would've jumped off the couch, but after assuring him that I was more than okay, he eased back into my arms, resting his weary head on my chest and falling asleep.

The morning after hadn't been as peaceful and calm. It started with Xavier barging into the room with heavy footsteps and the sound of other pack members in the halls.

"Help me," he whined, nearly tripping over his own feet. At his distressed call, Vince shot upright, narrowly missing elbowing me in the side in the process. We both glanced at him, sighing with relief that he wasn't in immediate danger, before noticing his two kids behind him. Lilah laughed at her father's clumsiness before pulling her brother inside the room.

"Goddess, don't scare me like that," Vince muttered before stretching. "What is it?"

Xavier took a few strides across the room before gesturing wildly to the doorway. "I might've forgotten about the pack meeting today, and Grant's not here to babysit."

It was then I noticed the two backpacks behind the kids.

"How do you forget a meeting?" Vince looked at him incredulously. "Is this the meeting you invited the neighboring alphas?"

Xavier's pursed lips were an answer enough, but he squeaked out, "maybe."

Vince pinched the bridge of his nose. "Xav."

"I lost track of time!" he replied before clasping his hands together. "Just please watch them for the time being? They've got some coloring books and books to read. Jonah's tablet was half-charged last I checked. I would've asked Dwaine, but he has to attend too."

I arched a brow. "What about Sam?"

Xavier's cheeks grew two shades redder. He cleared his throat, but Lilah was faster. "Uncle Sam works today."

"Yeah," Xavier said, forcing a smile. "Please, it shouldn't be longer than a couple of hours?"

I looked to Vince, who shrugged. "Sure."

Lilah grinned, clapping her hands before running up to him. "Yay!"

Her brother let out a sheepish smile before tugging on Xavier's shirt. Xavier bent down to pick him up while Vince helped Lilah onto the couch.

"Thanks, this meeting is super important," he said. "I've been nervous about it for nearly a week."

"You'll do great," I told him, extending a hand to Jonah, but he wasn't ready to leave Xavier yet. "We've got these two covered, don't worry."

"Daddy didn't even feed us," Lilah said with a mischievous smile.

Xavier scoffed, clutching his chest with his free hand. "Ouch, just call me out, why don't you. I would have, but I was in a rush."

"Well, lucky for you, we haven't eaten either." Vince checked the clock. "We can ask Loreta if she's got any leftovers, or uncle Simon could probably make something, right?"

Both he and Lilah looked up at me expectantly. I nodded before standing to peel Jonah away from Xavier. He didn't fight me but did give Xavier a big squeeze before wrapping his arms around me.