Chapter 36

A/N: enjoy ;)

Simon's POV

A small cold hand rested on my cheek when the morning rays woke me. Rowan was still sound asleep between us, with a hand on our faces. Vince was up, too, simply smiling at me as I placed Rowan's arm comfortably at his side. He didn't bother removing Rowan's hand from his face, most likely not wanting to wake him.

"Good morning," he said, gently reaching for my hand. "Sleep well?"

I nodded, my eyelids still heavy, but I didn't want to miss a single second of this moment. Vince held my hand to his face, placing a chaste kiss against my fingers, not breaking eye contact once. Heat flushed my cheeks as my legs intertwined with his under the sheets. I would've felt compelled to make out with him if Rowan hadn't been between us.

That would have to wait. We still had Rowan till at least breakfast, possibly lunch if Aspen and Sarah decided to take their time with Arthur.

Then, I'd have all day with Vince; it wasn't like we had anything planned.

Rowan, I reminded myself. Breakfast.

While it was tempting to snooze in, I couldn't trust Vince to make breakfast, and I wasn't going to bother Loreta when she already had many demanding and hungry betas relying on her for breakfast.

"I'll make us something to eat," I said, reluctantly pulling myself out of Vince's grasp, careful not to wake Rowan. "You can sleep in."

He pouted. "I could help."

"I've got it. Unless you'd like to help get him up and dressed."

He glared at the dreaded dresser before turning back to me. "How about you pick the outfit, and I'll let him rest for another ten minutes."

"Sounds like a plan."

Managing to escape the sheets without disturbing Rowan, I quickly trodded over to the dresser, pulling out denim overalls and a striped onesie with paw prints matching Vince's bandaid. I set it on the foot of the bed before heading to the kitchen.

Since Aspen had left us some leftover bacon and rice, I pulled out a couple of eggs to make some fried rice. Quickly scrambling the eggs and setting them on low to cook, I pulled out a couple of fruits to cut for Rowan, falling into steady multi-tasking. It had been a while since I cooked a meal—mostly relying on Loreta nowadays—but it was comforting moving between tasks, the smells of the bacon filling the house as everything came together.

Vince emerged with Rowan on his hip, the matching onesie and bandaid completely adorable. He wrapped around my waist, resting his chin atop my head as he watched me finish the fried rice. "Looks and smells amazing."

"Thanks. Would you get him set up in his chair?"

Vince nodded, not before placing a kiss against my temple, then pulled out the high chair for Rowan, buckling him in as I plated the food.

"Nom nom," Rowan said lazily, opening and closing his fists at the plate of fruit. Vince helped him with the fruits, cutting them even smaller when Rowan struggled. His face was messy with the juices, but Vince did his best at wiping the corners of his mouth after each bite, even making airplane noises when Rowan seemed hesitant with his food.

"How is it?" I pointed to the fried rice.

"Delicious as always," he mumbled between bites.

"You don't have to scarf it down," I warned him. "There's enough for leftovers."

He rolled his eyes. "It's so much better fresh like this, though."

"True."

I laughed as Rowan would reach out and attempt to swipe a piece of fruit from Vince's plate; Vince, in return, made weird faces that made Rowan giggle. Watching their interactions always made me smile, and I think Vince knew that, only intensifying his reactions once he glanced in my direction.