Chapter 22

Vince's POV

Despite this morning's fiasco in the bathroom and the following cuddling and kiss session, we still managed to head into the kitchen before Xavier and Sam. I tried not to think too far into it while they emerged from the stairs, pulling up a seat next to us for breakfast. Loreta went to the back to retrieve some food for them as Simon greeted them.

"Morning," I echoed, watching Xavier avoid eye contact, something he always did when he was in trouble.

"Good morning," he mumbled under his breath.

"How was the meeting?" Simon said with a smirk.

Sam smiled. "Great."

Loreta returned with two plates, while another one of her workers brought a couple of glasses for the juice pitcher at the table. "Enjoy, alpha," the timid young girl said, handing Xavier the utensils.

"Thanks, Mae," he told her. Xavier was extremely quiet this morning, only making last night's sleeping arrangement more damning.

I nudged his foot under the table and cleared my throat. Both Sam and Simon turned their attention toward us, but I waited for Xavier to look up. "You didn't go home last night."

He pursed his lips. "This is home."

"I mean your apartment." I gave him a droll look. "You hardly sleep in the pack house."

"As I said," he said slowly, glancing at Sam. "We had pack business to discuss."

"All night?" Simon quipped.

Xavier grimaced. "Well, no..."

"Slept in the office?" I glanced between the two of them. Sam kept his mouth shut but couldn't keep a straight face to save his life.

Xavier scoffed. "We didn't do anything! I swear—"

His words were muffled as he buried his face in his hands.

Sam laughed nervously. "We were discussing a few things then crashed at the table."

Simon narrowed his eyes. "Why do I find that hard to believe?"

"I swear, nothing happened," Xavier said before glaring at me. "And you two? You two were up late too. Did you two do anything, hm?"

"No," I told him. "Not what you're thinking, anyway."

Xavier hummed in disbelief. "Whatever, can't believe I'm being attacked at breakfast."

I punched his arm playfully. "What? It's not like I'd be upset if you were doing something last night."

As your older brother, it's probably my responsibility to say to be safe about it, I mind-linked him, amused at the bright blush that flushed his face.

"You asshole." He kicked my shin. It's not like that. And even if it were—He glanced at Simon—I'd probably beat you to it. It's been what, twenty years?

Quit that; you know it's different.

He rolled his eyes before picking at his food. Sam had already finished his plate, while Simon still picked the last bit of it left. Xavier had always eaten slowly for meals, mainly because of his inability to keep quiet. I honestly felt bad for Sam if they were to or were already dating; there'd never be a calm moment with Xavier around.

If I thought Simon was extremely patient with me, I only hoped Sam was twice that for Xavier.

Sam glanced down at his watch before standing up. "Well, I probably should stop by the clinic. I'd love to stay and catch up, but the ladies would tell me I owe them lunch for the week if I keep showing up late."