Chapter 39

A/N: Enjoy <3

Simon's POV

While I would've loved nothing more than to cut the night short and enjoy Vince's company in the comfort of our home, I could tell being here with everyone was something he needed more. Seeing the relief and joy these people brought by simply wishing him a happy birthday was completely worth keeping it a surprise.

Sending him off with Sam and not being able to explain at least why to him was pure torture, and it didn't help that Xavier's execution wasn't as smooth as we rehearsed. I really hoped Sam would be the sensible one to surprise Xavier with a proposal because it was goddess-awful watching that train wreck in the council room.

Not that I'd tell him that; he was stressed enough as it was when it came to helping coordinate everything else for the party. Which went well, might I add—sans the baking and food portion. He was way too into decorating the apartment with party streamers and everything.

Xavier strolled up next to us with the excitement of someone meeting their favorite band, Sam, right behind him. "You don't know how hard it was keeping it a secret."

Vince huffed. "That's why you told me to hang out with your boyfriend?"

Xavier rubbed the back of his neck. "Look, I know it wasn't the most subtle of moves, but we had to get you away from Simon and the pack; do you know how difficult that is?"

Vince laughed. "You could've sent the both of us on a grocery run."

"But he needed to make the cake." Xavier talked with his hands, pointing to the kitchen. "You know I can't do anything in the kitchen, and I wasn't about to just buy one. It's meant to be homemade, and I still had to decorate the place and get everyone...."

He was getting more flustered as he rambled, but Vince wrapped his arm around his shoulder instead of teasing him further, bringing his brother into an awkward semi-hug. "Thank you."

"Oh, well...right. I just figure it would be nice for once to—"

Vince shushed him. "Just take the thank you."

"Okay."

"It means a lot."

Xavier hummed as he squirmed. "Okay, this is getting awkward."

With one look at Sam, we had the same idea, and before the two could part, we joined in with a group hug. Sarah and the kids joined, and while Aspen shook his head, he begrudgingly joined in too.

"Alright, I can't breathe," Xavier said from the middle, but none of us were too eager to leave the group hug, letting it linger more than necessary. He exaggeratedly gasped for air as we parted before saying, "Let's eat, everyone."

The kids had already been digging into the appetizers, and a few of the betas had made plates too, but Xavier had forbidden them from touching the main dish I made until Vince arrived.

"No," Vince said, his mouth gaping at the plate before him. His eyes were wide as saucers as he looked between us. "You did not."

"I did," I drawled, glad Xavier was filming his reaction. To think he'd be this shocked and excited about having Carbonara on his birthday. "Still your favorite, right?"

"Of course. I thought we were doing pizzas."

I laughed. "Well, it wouldn't be complete without pizzas, but I figured I'd have time to make some while waiting for the cake to finish baking." Vince's eyes widened at the sight of the stack of pizzas on the counter behind Xavier. I'd need to remind myself to save the video from Xavier later.