Chapter 5

A/N: Sorry for the late update. Hope you enjoy <3

Vince's POV

It was pushing one in the morning by the time I showered and found myself sitting in the kitchen of the Northern Lights packhouse. Rina had set some food out on the kitchen counter while the pack's alpha and beta continued to banter in the living room.

She could've possibly been handing me poison on a plate, but with how exhausted and hungry I was, I dug right into the leftover pasta dish. It wasn't as good as carbonara, but it beat going to sleep starved.

"Just ignore them." She glanced at the two before setting the glass of water down. "They're not usually like this, but once they start, it's hard for them to stop."

"Must've been rough growing up," I remarked. Although still confused about which was Rina's father, I jeered my thumb toward them. "Having a dad leading the pack."

"They both were rough on the edges, but they're sweethearts; when they're not holding a grudge or argument, that is." A soft smile graced her face as she watched the two. Judging by the arguing leaders, she was probably around the same age, maybe younger than me. "Lots of expectations to uphold, as you would know."

It was impossible to not overhear their exchange given how quiet it was in the packhouse. "Art, you can't be serious."

"I am. It's about time, Clay." Arthur lowered his voice, his arms firmly crossed. "We talked about this."

I could feel the tension between them thicken as Rina dried and put away dishes, almost unfazed by their argument.

Clayton scoffed. "He doesn't need to know."

"Know what?" I whirled around in my chair, even Rina tuning into the conversation.

"You two aren't exactly subtle," Rina said under her breath, mouthing so loud to me with an eye roll. "I'm surprised you haven't woken up anyone with your fighting."

"We aren't fighting," Clayton insisted. "You have to admit that this is a terrible idea, right hun?"

Hun? So she was the alpha's daughter? Arthur rolled his eyes before looking at Rina. "Sweetie, tell him that I'm right and that it's only fair that he knows the truth."

Sweetie? Was she Arthur's after all? "Wait, the truth? What truth?"

Rina ignored the question and instead pointed at the two. "I'm not going to be your tiebreaker, geez."

I nodded, my sleep-deprived brain trying to wrap my head around this entire situation. "Tell me what exactly?"

"About your father," Clayton spat, before muttering under his breath, "fucking asshole."

Arthur pinned him a glare. "Enough."

"Can't we discuss this in the morning?"

Despite Clayton being the alpha here, it appeared Arthur held some formidable power as they stared each other down. Finally, with a clenched jaw, Arthur gritted out, "fine. Tomorrow. I'll show him to our guest bedroom."

And with that, the conversation ended as abruptly as it had escalated. Clayton huffed but followed behind as Arthur navigated us through the halls. Despite how cold and quiet it was, the halls felt as open and liberating as how the pack felt the time I had been here before.

As they led me to a guest room the size of a decent hotel room. I could sense the tension between the two, possibly a continuation of their argument through their mind-link. I didn't have any of my belongings, not even my phone on me, so I settled on taking in the sight of the room. One window near the bed faced out what I assumed would be a beautiful view of the mountains. The queen-sized bed was staged as any hotel room would; even the wall decorations were like an old-fashioned room. A mirror and a painting were on either side of the dresser.