Chapter 34

A/N: sorry for the delay; I got another story idea. Classic me LOL.

Vince POV

Aspen wasn't kidding when he said he'd leave us notes for Rowan. The stack of papers was like a manual, even though we were only babysitting him for two days. But, it was probably for the best, considering I hadn't a clue what a one-year-old could and couldn't eat.

His favorite toys, snacks, bedtime stories, and many other schedule-related things were listed. Bedtime was at eight, but Sarah added a note that it was more like nine these days, depending on storytime. Dinner was around six, and breakfast was at seven.

It all seemed very structured, but it was for the best and included plenty of time for playtime. Aspen may be a bit of a helicopter parent in some ways, but it was evident that he'd do anything for Rowan. I guess I could see his reasoning for not bringing Rowan into his conversation with Arthur.

"One last thing," Aspen said as I set the stack of instructions back on the kitchen counter. He tilted his head in the direction of the bedrooms. "We've been trying to get him to sleep in his own bed, but if he makes a fuss, just bring him to bed with you. He likes being between us or on either of our chests. And if—"

"We're going to be late, babe," Sarah interrupted, returning with Rowan and a tote bag. "You have everything?"

Aspen held up the small duffel bag before sparing both of us a glance. "Sorry, just making sure."

She rolled her eyes. Rowan kicked his legs in a silent plea to get down on the floor. Once down, he dragged his teddy bear with him, clinging to Simon's leg like a magnet. "It's only tonight; they've got it."

Simon nudged Aspen's side. "You've left me alone with Cedar how many times? Rowan will be fine."

"Alright, alright. We're going." He bent down to hug Rowan. "Be good, okay?"

Rowan nodded silently, content with rubbing his cheek against Simon's leg as Sarah knelt to kiss Rowan's forehead. "Love you."

Rowan held a palm to his lips and extended it with the cutest "muah" sound. That must've been something new he picked up since I've seen him. Simon melted at the sound, looking at me with a pout.

Aspen smiled at his son before looking back at us. "See you two tomorrow."

"Have fun," I told him. "You'll enjoy it there."

There was uncertainty on his face, but he nodded. "Maybe. And don't forget—"

"No unsupervised cooking got it," I said, holding my hands up in surrender. "Don't worry."

Sarah looked at us incredulously before waving and heading toward the front door. Aspen ruffled Rowan's hair before following Sarah.

That left the three of us.

Surprisingly, Rowan didn't seem all that bothered that his parents had left, which was truly miraculous in my mind. I assumed most kids would be upset about not having their parents around. Rowan shifted his attention to me as Simon picked up the packet of instructions and notes.

"Un Un!" Rowan tugged on my pants, holding up the teddy bear I had gifted him.

"I told you he never lets it out of his sight," Simon said. I knelt, gripping the other hand of the teddy bear, and watched, amused, as Rowan swung his arm as if the bear was on a swing.

"You excited to spend time with your uncles?" I asked. He nodded, reaching his hands up. Careful to hold onto his stuffed bear, I scooped him up into my arms and rested him on my hip. "How about we help Un Un with lunch first? You hungry?"