Chapter 37

Vince's POV

My chest felt heavy and warm, and not in a terribly painful or in a way I felt I couldn't breathe. It was the complete opposite; an embrace that signified safety, security, and love. If time stood still and I was frozen like this for eternity, I wouldn't complain, so I refused to open my eyes and rouse from the sleepy state. Especially when Simon was sound asleep against my chest peacefully, his legs still entangled with mine beneath the sheets, and his breaths breathing against my exposed neck reminded me of the night prior.

I love you.

I had said it last night. In the haze of us making love—not even fully in the act—I had managed to say those three little words I had feared so much before. It had slipped from my lips as easily as saying hello.

Simon hadn't noticed, or if he did, he didn't say anything when I had almost let out a breathy laugh. I couldn't believe that I had been so nervously building up the moment I wanted to confess that, only for me to say it unconsciously last night. While I would've loved to have made it a spectacle, explaining why I loved him or led up to the moment, I'd say it was probably the best way to tell him.

Simon had often told me that I didn't need to say it, that the best things could be felt. It was hard to comprehend that initially, but now I understand it. Even if my words were barely above a whisper, the energy and power of everything unspoken made it as powerful as if I had given an entire speech.

As if he sensed my thoughts, Simon's breathing shifted, his body pressing into me.

"Good morning," I whispered, my breath leaving a trail of goosebumps along his neck. I could feel his smile spreading against my chest.

"'Morning."

"How are you feeling?"

He hummed. "Sore. In a good way, I promise."

While that was a relief, the fact that he was sore at all was a tad upsetting. Was I too rough? Should I have taken more time to prepare? Should I have stopped after the first time instead of willingly going for another two rounds, as he suggested?

Simon's hand reached up, his finger poking my cheek. "I mean it, Vince. Last night was amazing. It's normal to be a little sore after all...that."

My cheeks flushed. The sheets were a mess and tangled from last night, and neither of us had the energy to shower after properly, the lingering scent still strong evidence of what had happened last night. Luckily, I remembered to grab a wet washcloth and managed to wipe our bodies before finally falling asleep in each other's arms.

"I enjoyed it as well," I muttered. "Maybe a little too much."

He laughed softly. "I sure hope so."

My phone buzzed from the nightstand, surprisingly not dead—we were too occupied for me to set it on the charger. I groaned and reached for it, seeing Xavier's name on the screen. I let it ring once more before picking up the call. "Xav?"

"Hey, morning."

"What's up?"

"I have a very important and rather serious announcement to make," Xavier said. "And while I should have said something to you first, I don't think I can say it twice, so I'm just going to say it once in front of the betas and you because my nerves are through the roof, and I want to get this over with before I just crumple into a ball of anxiety? Nerves? Embarrassment? I don't even know. Just please be in the office in like ten minutes."

"Okay," I drawled. "Does this have to do with the Southern pack? I told you I could deal with them if they keep bothering you."

"No, nothing like that," Xavier said a little too quickly. "It's just something I've been considering and probably should have said earlier."