Chapter 12

A/N: It's finally here! Enjoy <3 Feel free to check out my newly created Instagram and website in my bio. I'll be posting bios, moodboards, memes, etc., about my works. Love ya <3

Simon's POV

To no surprise, Rowan was clutching the brown teddy bear that Vince had gotten him. He went everywhere with that thing, so much so that I don't even think he bothered to care about the other stuffed animals and gifts he accumulated from anyone else.

He stretched his little arms up toward Vince, beaming up at him. Vince had tensed at first before crouching down to meet his eye level. I had bent down too, ruffling the top of Rowan's head.

"Hey bub," I told him. "Look who I've brought."

Rowan let out a little giggle before bouncing up and down. Aspen had put his hands behind him as a precaution if he fell, but his son remained upright.

"Un un!" He had called out again before grabbing onto Vince's shoulders. "Up up."

Although his p's sounded more like b's, it was apparent he wanted Vince to pick him up. Vince had glanced between the rest of us nervously before hesitantly reaching under his arms. It took him a few seconds before he finally scooped Rowan up in his arms, obviously something he wasn't used to at all. He shot Aspen and Sarah a nervous look, to which they both laughed.

"He hasn't shut up about you since that night," Sarah told him. "Holding him is the least you could do."

With the number of times I had held Rowan, he was surprisingly calm in Vince's arms, holding the doll up to his face before leaning his head on Vince's shoulder. Usually, he'd try and kick or bounce in my arms, but Rowan looked ready to fall asleep right there.

Aspen rolled his eyes. "He kept asking about you, even as I tried putting him to bed. I swear it's that stuffed animal. He'd sit and wait for it as we washed it in the laundry room too."

Vince looked down at Rowan. "You really like that bear, don't you?"

With a pout, Rowan brought the doll to both of their chests, humming in agreement.

"He sure does, couldn't wait to show it to you," Sarah said before tilting her head in the direction of the door. "Xavier's inside with the kids. I'm sure he's already attacked the dessert table. Luckily, I made extra; I hope you're hungry."

"I'm starved," I told her before glancing back at Vince. He was trying to support Rowan's head as he lifted his head at the sound of food. "Let's head in."

Sarah and Aspen had already stepped inside, but I could sense Vince's hesitation. If he hadn't been carrying Rowan, I feared he'd refuse to enter the house again. Although I was ready to stop him from leaving anyways, I could see that same look in his eyes, the same way his shoulders tensed up. It was precisely how it was the first time Sarah had invited us over for dinner and how he looked before he took off.

Family dinners were supposed to be normal, but for Vince, those were uncommon. And if he had, they weren't pleasant experiences.

Turning to him, I reached my hand up to his cheek, guiding his eyes toward mine. "Hey."

He blinked. Resting against Vince's chest, Rowan held up his free hand to wave, letting out a small "hi."

We laughed at that before I looked back up at Vince. "You'll be okay. Let's go before they think we took off with their child."

He smiled. "I'm surprised they trusted me in holding their child."

"Oh, don't be silly, this wasn't the first time. I think he likes you more than me."