Chapter 4

A/N: sorry it's so late, hope you enjoy <3

Chapter 4

Simon's POV

The incredibly bright screen of my messages remained unchanged. It wasn't uncommon for Vince to not respond to any of my messages, but this had been the one time I wanted him to. Even a simple 'okay' or 'hi' would have sufficed.

I stared at the last message I sent him. Rowan loved your gift. Above it was a photo of Rowan clutching the brown bear tightly to his face.

It had been a few hours since we got back to Sam's place, and in hindsight, that was a fairly short amount of time to respond; after all, Vince has his own life and is doing his own thing. Yet I knew when it came to Rowan, Jonah, or Lilah, Vince enjoyed their company. He wouldn't dare admit that, according to Xavier, but even Aspen had noticed. Hence why we thought the adorable photo would've rendered a reaction.

For that reason, I had hesitated on sending the message typed up. I could have said Rowan missed him, or I; but in reality, I think we all did that night. Sarah and Aspen had planned for him to attend, and the rest of us thought it'd be a great idea, especially with how much Rowan adored him. Out of everyone, I felt the most excited for him to be there, wanting him to enjoy a real birthday party for once even if it wasn't for his birthday. But it wasn't just me that missed him that day, so I sent the next message.

We missed you at the party.

I waited, hoping to see those three little dots. But still—

"Nothing?" Sam had returned with a bowl of popcorn, resuming the television show we were watching. He tilted the bowl toward me. "Popcorn?"

Tilting my phone in his direction, I grabbed a handful of popcorn. After seeing Vince didn't respond to the messages, he pursed his lips. "That's a bummer. I thought the picture would get him to cave in."

"Yeah, well, we should've figured he wouldn't." I thrummed through the past text history I had with Vince, out of all the photos and texts, and even a couple of videos of his nephew and niece with Rowan, he had maybe sent a reply two or three times at best. All of which were one to two words.

He shovelled some popcorn down before mumbling, "for someone who writes beautifully in letters, you would think he'd be well-versed with texts."

Biting back my laugh, I threw a piece of popcorn at him. "Whatever. Besides, I remember a certain someone struggling to text a certain alpha about a meet up."

"Whatever do you mean?" He said mockingly. "You know how Xavier gets; can't boost his ego too much or he'll be a blubbering mess during one of those meetings, beet red and all. One little compliment, and he'll think I'm flirting."

Reaching over to pause the show we had completely ignored, I looked at him curiously. "So is that why you called him adorable? Wanted to boost his ego in front of me? A little flirt?"

He scoffed. "I was just messing with you, trying to get you out of your overthinking pretty little head. Did it bother you?"

"No," I reassured teasingly. "I'm messing with you. Everyone thinks he's adorable; you think I'd be jealous over that?"

He shook his head before taking another scoop of popcorn. "No, you aren't like that. But if you were jealous, you could tell me and I'd stop. But, in all seriousness, it is difficult to text Xavier. He ain't the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to simple things. Gets flustered when you're too blunt, and too oblivious to anything subtle."

"That is true."

He grinned before bopping me on the nose gently. "Besides, I couldn't do that to you. Meeting up with another guy behind your back? Now that would be presumptuous on my part."