P R O L O G U E

Where it all began ...
~

Accalia Larren pressed her back against the dirty and cold bricks, casting her attention over to her cousin that sprawled her gangly frame along the icy cold ground and watching over her to see if she'd get sleep.

Accalia's head snapped up, eyes narrowing at the bottom of the rocky staircase and waiting to see those clambering boots come down. She could hear them treading against the dirt and twigs upstairs where the forest was, becoming louder and louder.

She immediately bit her lip to keep obscene words from flying out of her mouth. Her fate still dangled on a string that threatened to end her life.

The Alpha of Alphas was draped in black, every angle and portion of him was clean and polished. Compared to hours beforehand, where he was bathed in blood from killing the werewolves that tried to slay the hunters for trespassing.

"If you're going to kill us, get it over with, lycan," Accalia sneered, surprising herself with the malice in her tone.

The lycan licked his bottom lip, tugging it into his mouth as he leered down at the hunter, an overcast of nothingness crossing his features and a devilish glint in those enticing amber orbs.

He simply shook his head, pulling his attention to Cadence, Accalia's younger cousin. Accalia immediately got to her feet, sparing him a look that reeked of hate and distaste.

"Keep your cursed eyes away from her, if I won't kill you, she surely will," Accalia growled.

Through the silver bars, Accalia had to look up to him, not by much, but it seemed to amuse him judging by that grin he had going on.

"You could try, but I don't think that will in be our best interest," The Alpha responded huskily.

Accalia shivered, leaning against the brick wall for support. "You clearly haven't come across many hunters then, we have a tendency of killing your kind."

The lycan grinned, crossing his leg over the other and coming closer to the silver bars. The metal didn't even sizzle against his skin, merely brightening his amber eyes and entrancing them. Silver hardly works on lycans. Especially lycans of his age and strength.

"I doubt you've killed anyone, with those easy-going eyes and pretty face, you're more benevolent than the rest. Your family member sleeping away, however, has harshness in her face. If it came down to it, she'd kill anyone. Even a human." The Alpha observed, eyebrows raising at Accalia, as if to provoke her or maybe to confirm he was, indeed, right.

Accalia clenched her jaw, wondering how on earth he discovered all of that and if this final conversation they were having would be the final one she'd ever have again.

Conversing with a lycan — Accalia could almost hear her father screaming at her, berating her for such actions when she should be slicing the Alpha's throat with a knife. Her brother would merely refer to her as a fuckhead.

"And your the worst of the worst ... Lycus Fenris. A murderer, predator, someone who enjoys destroying lives and conquering lands to claim as his own. You're nothing but a —"

"Might want to add your mate to the list, sweetheart." Lycus winked at her and left the cellars.

Accalia's heart skipped a beat, breath of air heaving for another and desperate enough to bring herself to her knees and pray this isn't true.