21

To touch moonlight
~
Lycus
~

"You did a headcount?"

"Yes, Alpha. Twice. No werewolf will be getting out tonight, they're all restrained and are in the cellars." His beta, Tala reported.

Now we just have to wait for morning, Lycus thought briefly. It was mandatory, through Lycus's influence, that every werewolf is to be restrained and under watch until dawn.

Lycus recalled back to times when lessons were to be learnt. An era amongst lycans where Lycus's power was much more enforcing and brutal.

Originally, lycans were one pack, but soon enough, the lycans that were once man, barring no family ties to their leaders, but the lingering virus they all contracted, had branched off into their groups, hungry for authority and control — creating more packs.

Lycus allowed this, after all, a few of those lycans would have died at his hand if they didn't flee. But as Lycan, as a werewolf, their blood will intermingle with Fenris family whether they like it or not. They're bound to the Fenris family.

"I think it's time you go Tala," Lycus said, not diverting his eyes from the forest, "we don't want the wolves thinking you're getting special treatment."

Tala chuckled and swung her arm around Lycus's shoulders. "I'm your Beta, Alpha, of course, I'm getting special treatment."

Indeed, she is.

Lycus didn't bite Tala Avan nearly twenty years ago for no reason. They crossed paths at a dingy bar after Tala got booted to the curb by her parents. Indeed, minutes prior, her parents kicked her out of their car outside of a bar with only twenty dollars to her name and sped off.

Lycus took pity on the girl all those years ago ... until Tala got both of them kicked out of the bar. Then again, if an old creep kept hitting on you, you'd punch him square in the face too.

That night onward, a friendship was forged, an alliance Lycus found himself grateful for from time to time.

"Run along Tala, have Gabriel restrain you; he's doing rounds at the moment." Lycus ordered sternly.

Tala lightly shoved him away and ruffled his hair. "See you in the morning, Alpha."

Disappearing, Tala dashed to where all the other werewolves were and Lycus crossed his arms, scanning the forest. The clouds had parted, welcoming the dimming sun, shielding behind the trees and skies becoming dusk with dark reds and oranges. 

And soon the full moon would invade the skies and will greet lunacy and madness.

This was the same process, every full moon, werewolves are to be locked away to maintain the control they're wanting to break. Wanting carnage and blood. It was a tiresome cycle, but Lycus couldn't afford any difficulties, every spectre of detail set in over the years needs to be kept in place. He wasn't like his father, encouraging a bloodbath to welcome the wolf and he isn't like the current Alphas. Lycus valued order and control; maybe a little chaos now and again.

A crack shot from behind him and Lycus didn't bother to look back.

"You aren't missing your pack?" Lycus asked his brother who came to his side.

Gabriel ran a hand through his hair, feeling unsettled and peered his head up to the skies above. The skies darkened and clouds parted to unveil the pallid and silver full moon.

"I just got off the phone to my Beta," Gabriel informed him, "everything is under control."

Lycus laid a sturdy hand onto his brother's shoulder, clasping it sharply. "Let's hope so, brother."