20

Harvest moon
~
Accalia
~

Cadence kicked sticks out of her path, waking up a gush of dust in her midst as she and Accalia stalked through the woods, the sun warming them up and the air becoming humid and thick.

"It probably wasn't that useless, Cadence," Accalia muttered, shoving her hands in her pockets as she listened to her cousin's complaints and objections.

"It was though," Cadence grumbled bitterly, "Lycus making me go there was stupid and pointless. She was scared to be around me afterwards, telling me to go after saying I should be careful on the night of the full moon. Of course, I'm fucking careful. Most days I am..."

Cadence felt her credibility was being doubted and stomped on — that was one thing she despised.

Not only had Cadence and Accalia been trained for over a decade, but they grew up in this world. They know as the moon changes, so do lycans and werewolves.

"She's an oracle, her duty is to give you insight. Who knows, maybe she feels something will happen this full moon," Accalia said nonchalantly, tilting her head thoughtfully.

Cadence clenched her jaw with flared nostrils. "Well, of course, something is gonna happen, for the first time we aren't prepared and we're literally bunking with werewolves, Accalia."

Accalia laughed loudly and swatted Cadence across the arm. "Hardly. Maybe Lycus is the type of Alpha to grab a hold of his wolves, he doesn't seem like the Alpha to let them out on the night of the full moon."

Because many Alphas did. They will provoke their descendants, the cruellest of ways the girls have heard of is days before the full moon, Alphas round their werewolves up, restrain them, unable to eat and drink and then let them roam free once the moon was full.

This only encouraged two things: the one, the werewolves would be so overwhelmed with rage and bloodlust, they'd kill whatever was in sight. Some cannibalise their own, murder humans and would be the ultimate killing machine. The second would be what lycans wanted: werewolves to turn humans with their ferocious bite.

This is where the role of a hunter came in. Exact control and take down the threat. It was simple as that.

"Maybe," Cadence drawled out, "I mean, we never went near Lycus's pack until what happened, and I don't remember having problems with his pack on the night of the full moon."

"Gabriel and Lycus are mainly lycan populated packs and we never had troubles with them when it came to the full moon. So the oracle didn't find anything?" Accalia asked Cadence, coming back to the original topic at hand.

"Nope. There's like blanks in my head and it was basically what I told you and Lycus. I was in a cave and a person was also there. See? A complete waste of time," Cadence stated surely.

Accalia licked her lips as she contemplated those self-assured sentences. "How could there be blocks in your head, Cadence?" Accalia questioned, finding her feet coming to a dead stop.

Cadence wasn't an open book, but when she wanted to be she could. Her mind was like a storm, always raging and wild, but never blank and vacant like a ghost town.

"I don't know," Cadence ushered out and came to a halt, "Vaela mentioned something about trauma and then not being able to access much."