39

Part II
Prey & Prayers
~
Accalia
~

When Accalia and Lycus got back to the house, Tala trailing after them, all of them sprung into action.

Vaela wished to remain at her cottage, claiming her bird was anxious and needed attention. Accalia wanted to apologise to her on Cadence's behalf, but the oracle dismissed her, saying she had to shuffle cards to clear her mind.

Lycus briefly brushed over the fact that Vaela was protecting the locket that Alexene wanted and for decades, she succeeded, wearing the necklace under her clothing and never taking it off.

Cadence caught her off guard today, the item falling right into her lap and took it.

Accalia could practically taste the bitterness Lycus had toward Cadence since she took the locket.

"So the locket unlocks something that can't be let out, is that what you're trying to stop?" Accalia asked and Lycus threw on a jacket, throwing his dark blue coat to Accalia.

"Put that on," Lycus ordered and strolled into his walk-in closet, reappearing a minute later. "Yes, that's what I'm trying to stop. I never thought I'd have to deal with this. Not after everything."

He sound wounded mentioning this part of his past as if it was dragging him back through it and drowning him for all his misdeeds and transgressions.

Some may call that karma.

"It's hidden in Kara forest?" Accalia questioned, looping her arms through the coat's sleeves. It's hovered at her ankles, the fabric making her look burly and huge. This could drag her down if she had to run.

"In a cave in Kara forest." Lycus confirmed, clenching his jaw.

Accalia threaded her thick hair into a tight bun and her eyes widened as Lycus walked up to her with three wooden stakes. She almost giggled. It reminded her of a show she used to watch when she was younger. "Really?"

"Take one, sweetheart and if you got to, stab the vampire in the heart." Lycus handed one to her and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I can't lose you, Accalia."

The pad of his finger brushed along her jaw and was placed under her chin, lifting her face to his. "You know that right?"

Accalia wasn't so sure. Their issues still lingered like unsealed wounds, opening up again, wider and deeper than before. The way he spoke to her, accused her and threatened her, it didn't lessen even if they subtly resolved things. She felt they'd taken a few steps back.

"The way you spoke to me ... you spoke to me like I was beneath you, Lycus. Like I was your enemy." Accalia admitted, but even that didn't seem to be enough. She wanted to yell at him.

Lycus sighed and gave a nod, humanity drilling through his once snarling features. He seemed more balanced than before and not on the brink of snapping into a beast. "I know, when we get out of this, I'll make it up to you. I promise you," his lips brushed against hers, but before it could deepen into anything more, before Accalia could capture it to keep it, he pulled away.

He'll make it up to me.

But Accalia wanted to keep it, for however long it may last. She clashed her lips onto his and she could only hope he wouldn't pull away.

Lycus stilled and Accalia predicted as much to want to pull back.

He wouldn't let her. Lycus secured his arms around her and matched her fire in a bruising flame that both wanted to be hurt by.