29

Flames to ignite
~
Cadence
~

Cadence: I searched through his room — couldn't find anything.

The message was sent and that 1% battery faded into blackness. Cadence shoved the flat phone into her back pocket, a tiring exhale leaving her mouth and walked back to her room through the many hallways and corners with suspension anticipating her steps.

It was a baffling sight to see, to witness with the eyes of a hunter, Accalia in Lycus's room like she belonged there. Belonged with him. Cadence frowned at the sighting like the world shifted beneath her feet and flipped.

She wondered if Accalia has grown to care for him. It was evident that Lycus had a type of possessiveness over her, always being by her side and making his attention is given to her and only her.

By the time Cadence got to her room, she wasted no time in stuffing clothes into a bag and hoisting it over her shoulder. Twirling her silver dagger between her fingers, she shoved it into her boot. She would've liked to hook her brass knuckle knife through her fingers, but that wouldn't do strolling through a community town filled with humans.

Instead, she slipped them into the sides of her bag and slipped on pure silver steel rings that simmered beneath the sunlight. Simmer right into the skin of a werewolf and sizzle until skin peeled off if they wanted to have it out with her.

Occasionally, Cadence couldn't help but agree when Accalia called her a dirty fighter.

In the world of hunters, your weapons were as important as wealth and gold. For humans, they were handed down jewellery and heirlooms from their family, with being a hunter, it would always be a weapon.

Cadence couldn't bid another notion of goodbyes to Accalia or run-ins with Lycus, especially as paranoia scorned her mind. She could almost sense it, feel it bristle over her shoulder like a hand gripping onto her skin that the lycan knew what she was up to.

Cadence didn't plan it snoop, it just fell into place. Finding the object is her ultimate goal and if snooping played into that, then so be it.

Lycus's room was rather traditional and well put together. Old interior, dark colours and Victorian aged. It stuck out to Cadence that a part of him still lived in a different time.

And Cadence still came up empty-handed to her displeasure and Accalia's nagging and chiding didn't help either.

Cadence Larren will most likely have to turn this entire pack upside down, inside out and take it apart to find the ruby red item. Now and again, she would stare at the drawing, to marvel and imagine where it could be.

Maybe I need a shovel, Cadence mused. To dig her way out of this mess and hopefully find the object on her way out. Knowing the situation, with half-hidden information and lingering threats, Cadence would dig her way to the pits of hell before she found it.

——

Cadence drove with the window down and arm sticking out of the window, her fingers gliding through the wind.

The road itself was rocky and rustic, it wasn't exactly pleasing to the eye, especially not with the many signs that prohibited entry: Trespassers will be shot at. It would steer people away to take another road, but to Cadence Larren, it felt and looked like a place to take refuge.

The scent of wildflowers waffled into Cadence's nostrils as she drove on and then burning wood, the smell of ash burned into her senses like a brand mark. A bright smile welcomed her lips and she put the car in park once she was outside of a wooden and snug cabin. She wasted no time in jumping out and latching her bag over her shoulder.