12

Skin & Bone
~
Accalia
~

Through the warren of woodland, they stalked with caution and suspicion.

Accalia's brain created images of breaths tickling against the back of her neck and feet pressing against her heels. It spiked her anxiety and fuelled the fear that drilled into her head harsher than before.

She kept her pace, with every step she took, her inhalation becoming more winded and lost, everything putting her on edge.

She could hear running water, the sound flourishing into her ears and the alluring air of burning herbs waffling into her nostrils.

But it didn't offer any comfort.

The idea of the lycans that wanted her dead taking coverage along the tree lines and bushes was what slid into her mind and played at her heartstrings.

Nothing offered her comfort, only constant dread of what lurked beyond.

Gabriel came to Accalia's side and dangled something by her head, causing her to wretch out of the delusions that wished to poison her further.

It was car keys and Accalia let them drop into the palm of her hand, closing her fingers around it.

"Why are you doing this?" Accalia had to ask. She had to know why this Alpha lycan traded hate with humility, and if she dares say, did right by her and Cadence.

"Lycus can be narrow-minded and apathetic to others. He didn't understand the seriousness of your well-being and his only way of dealing with it was through violence, I had to take him out. I do regret knocking him out, but it was necessary." Gabriel explained and took long strides in front of three women, scanning everything in sight.

Accalia caught up to him with narrowed eyes. "You didn't answer my question. Why are you really doing this?"

Gabriel pitted Accalia with icy eyes, frowning to himself. "Throughout my long life, I made a vow to myself and that was to always protect the mates that ever dared be paired with the Fenris brothers. I protect Nina and now I must protect you, despite our differences."

Accalia swallowed, grasping every single word with the meaning it entailed. He sounded sincere enough. But why did he feel the need to be so protective? Was it something connected to the past? Accalia didn't think to ask nor did she want to know.

"Lycus will be angry won't he?" Accalia noted and imagined the iron fist Lycus would wield once he woke up. He'll bring hell to earth if he wished.

"Furious, wrathful and most of all, offended." Gabriel's mouth twitched in amusement and he cracked a boyish smile at Accalia.

She almost returned it, he helped them after all, there'd be no harm in returning kindness when it was given.

They were cutting through the woods, trees hiding their bodies for a short moment before they were out in the open once again, the sun stark against them and skies cloudless.

Gabriel informed Accalia they were near his vehicle and they'd need to get in and leave quickly, no looking back.

"I'll try and return your car," Accalia murmured, feeling awkward. How can I just take a random's car and not return it? Her face flushed thinking that.

This was above her level of being a hunter. Sure, Cadence rubbed off on her and they've had to steal a car or two, but not be willingly given one to flee from lycan with the help of a fellow lycan.

It chilled her to the bone.

"Don't worry about it, I have many more back at my pack, just get away before lycans try and hunt you down. They're relentless and ruthless, they'll start on Lycus if they get the chance. Lycans won't react kindly to this union, it's seen as shameful, but Lycus won't react well to any of this either." Gabriel said in a clipped tone, seriousness transferring into his features as he lead the way.