30

Caged
~
Accalia
~

It was the conversations of Fenris pack members that arose Accalia out of sleep. She managed to detect one voice, deep and resonating. Lycus.

The other two voices belonged to women, one high-pitched, laced in snark and the other rather commanding and calculated, a voice of a high rank.

Accalia cringed at this, of course, it had to be the Beta she punched in the nose a few weeks back. They hadn't seen each other since Accalia's escape and knocking her out. Through the thick walls and slightly ajar door of Lycus's room, Tala would pick up on her scent without much effort.

"No one will enter the territory undetected, they'll have to grow through certain measures, but who's to say there are not enemies watching us from the outside?" Accalia pinned that voice to the Beta, Tala.

"They're most likely watching us, but they won't make a move. Cole can be reckless and he doesn't care about the repercussions that's why he sent that wolf after my mate—"

Accalia heard a snort, but Lycus continued, his voice darkening, "—He doesn't care about being smart, he could walk into my lands right now, but Zenith would try to manipulate Cole to his bidding. If there's anyone spying, it would be Zenith pack members ... Cole's wolves will just go in for the kill."

Accalia laid her head against the soft pillow with a sigh. Not long after Cadence left, much to Accalia's annoyance, Lycus insisted she slept and with no fight left in her from today, she did just that.

"Alpha Lycus, there's not much left to do, unless you want to cause an outright war at this very moment — every pack member is aware of the situation and their loyalty are to this pack. If they want a fight, we'll be behind you." Tala voiced, nothing but undying faithfulness etched in her words.

"A war won't take place in this pack, Tala, I'll make sure of it. This isn't only about my mate, those two Alphas have had it out for me and brother for a long time, Accalia being a hunter was the breaking point." Lycus's form crept into the lining of the ajar door and Accalia felt his shadow sweep in.

He didn't look into the room but leaned against the doorframe and continued, "lycans are patrolling and werewolves are training, we'll wait and see."

Accalia pulled the duvet over her cheekbone, hoping Lycus wouldn't see she lay awake but she suspected he could her erratic heartbeat that has sped up since eavesdropping.

"Alright, Alpha. Goodnight." Tala said and Accalia briefly saw the Beta lightly nudge Lycus's shoulder before her footsteps drifted down the hall.

Lycus hadn't come in, he remained outside and his composure seemed even laxer, it reminded Accalia of the time she first saw him and Melina correspond.

"You can leave now, Cora — Tala won't hurt you first chance she gets with me not around." Lycus snidely said.

A light laugh plagued the hallway and swayed into the room. "I'm not scared of Tala, I'm here for other reasons ... Alpha."

Accalia's eyes snapped closed with a cringe and at the same tipping point so did Lycus's bedroom door, sealing it tightly close where a bridge was made between him and Accalia.

Accalia debated whether to force sleep to blanket over once again or to leave the room altogether. She didn't want to take part in listening in on this, didn't want to be haunted with the conversation being had between an Alpha and she-wolf whilst Accalia stayed in his bed.

But the words that followed through the other side of the wall made her stay in place, curiosity chewing at her.

"Like what, Cora?"