19

Oracles
~
Cadence
~

"We can turn back, you know?" Accalia suggested thoughtfully to Cadence.

Cadence said nothing in return, instead, her head motioned over to the sun coming above the trees and emitting rays of sunlight to stark on her skin. Cadence continued to walk on and Accalia took that as her answer.

"We're not turning back," Lycus hollered in front of them.

"Maybe you shouldn't have done this so early in the morning!" Accalia bantered, hands shifting onto her hips and giving him daggers at the back of his head.

Stalking in front of the two girls, Lycus lead them to the supposed mystical oracle named Vaela. She lived off the outskirts of the main pack houses and quarters, taking solitude in a cosy old cottage.

Lycus whipped around and rounded on the girls. "You realise, Mate, you and I will not be going in with her, we're just taking her there," Lycus explained with a sneer.

Accalia stopped in her tracks and worked up a sour expression, looking bitter.

Lycus mirrored her, nostrils flaring and sending her a scathing look. "Alright then, darling, don't be surprised when Vaela tells you to run along."

Shoving his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket, he shifted away and continued his trails to the oracle's home.

Accalia huffed and kicked up her feet against the dirt, "I hate when he calls me that."

"What?" Cadence asked to pass the time, "Mate or darling?"

"Both! He talks to me like I'm some pet of his. It's degrading."

"I mean, I think that's all he knows, aye? Just ordering people around and commanding them to do his bidding." Cadence was surprised by her words but found it to be the most logical reasoning behind Lycus's antics.

Lycus may have a string of past flings in his wake but what if that's all he knows? Cadence found it unlikely for him to be emotionally invested in another person but now, his emotions force him to do. He has found his mate and probably has no idea what to do about that.

He may be as lost as Accalia is.

A fleeting but laughable question followed through Cadence's mind and she almost felt giddy to ask. "Do you think he's hot?" Cadence questioned, quirking a thin brow up.

Even Cadence herself wasn't going to deny that Lycus prevailed in beauty like some unearthly being who shouldn't be on this earth. Ironic, even under his skin, he's damned and unnatural but in attractiveness, he's a dark allure you'd only dream of coming across, but not wanting to affiliate yourself with.

Accalia almost staggered, locks of hair whipping around her like blackish flames hued with russet from the sunlight.

With a detached posture and widened eyes, Accalia answered not as gracefully as she hoped with, "Um, I—er, I just need to remind myself of all the mess he's caused; that quickly confirms how much of beast he is."

Accalia's eyes fell to the ground they walked upon, almost feeling stiff in the muscles as she strolled along with those words emitting into the air and capturing Lycus's ears.

It didn't go unnoticed to Cadence that he immediately went rigid in the shoulders, picking up his pace a bit more with unclenching fists.

Cadence almost laughed lowly to herself at that. It wasn't difficult to see, even in the eyes of a hunter, who knew the brutality of such a wretched connection, tension has developed between Accalia and Lycus.