32

They stalk the night
~
Cadence
~

   Erisa: Seeing as you have a phone now I can finally message you to come over instead of tracking you down. Thea's here and she wants to see you. Uncle is gonna make dinner soon. Better get your ass here Larren. Bring Accalia too!!

"Why did I give her my number again?" Cadence grumbled to herself and tucked the phone into her back pocket. She'll get back to her soon.

When ambling downstairs and swinging around the corner, she felt tempted to walk back into the room she'd been staying in for the past month.

Lycus and Accalia both sat together in the kitchen, arms brushing against each other and eating food that looked delectable to Cadence's empty stomach.

She felt peeved at her cousin's cluelessness, even as Accalia sat beside the beast, it went completely over her head that he wanted to devour her like she was his last meal.

Lycus's eyes filtered to two extremes of colours. Black for the beast and amber for the human. — Accalia wasn't looking at him battling with control and bit into her sandwich.

Cadence wouldn't deny it, his self-restraint was admirable but she often wondered how quickly it take for him to snap and mark Accalia. Nerved by this, the huntress strolled into the kitchen and announced herself with her loud, clambering boots.

Lycus's attention narrowed at her and his lip curled. Cadence equally settled a scathing look at him.

"Cadence, want some?" Accalia asked and handed a turkey sandwich to her. "There's orange juice in the fridge."

Cadence grabbed it and ruffled her cousin's head, messing up her unruly waves. Hopping on the bench, a piece of meat dangling from her mouth, she said, "Thanks. What's on the agenda today? Erisa wants us to go over."

Lycus hastily got up, picking up his and Accalia's plates to head over to the sink. His tensed body faced away from the girls as he washed away.

Accalia turned around in her seat to face Cadence, her eyes drew over to Lycus and a light glint dwelled in her gaze. "I almost got eaten alive two weeks ago and two Alphas want to start a war ... I think it's best if we—"

Cadence grumbled and hopped off the bench, dusting the crumbs off her jeans. "I'll be back tomorrow, I'll see you later."

Accalia sighed, a crestfallen look spilling across her face that irked Cadence to think she may want to lay a punch into her.

But all that fell from Accalia's lips were, "Be safe."

Cadence looked over her shoulder before leaving and mastered a mischievous grin. "I try."

Heading upstairs, collecting a bag for clothes and weapons, Cadence whipped out her device and typed in the message:

Cadence: Coming now. Accalia isn't.

To her relief, she was glad her cousin refused the offer. Two weeks have passed since she last heard from Alexene and in those days drifting by, the item is still lost, unable to reach and nowhere to trace.

Cadence looked in every corner and shelf of the Fenris manor and has come up empty-handed. Every chip and crack in the house have been sought out by her and in every attempt, paranoia seeps into her head of an Alpha potentially peering over her shoulder.

These past few days, Cadence formulated the plan to buy a shovel and swimming gear. Digging through the dirt until she meets the bodies of deceased wolves and swimming through the waters of the Fenris lands will be the task committed to finding the item. Her last resort is raiding every single pack member and turning the pack upside down.