28

Beasts & Monsters
~
Accalia
~

"He tore his heart out? Was it like pretty quick or — like bloody and gory?" Cadence questioned, eyes fit wide with fascination.

Accalia's mouth fell ajar and she couldn't help but shake her head at her cousin. "Er — both, I suppose."

Cadence gave a loose shrug, "Nice."

"Is that a compliment, I hear?" A voice crooned from the corner of the room.

Cadence turned to face Lycus who leant against his wall, leg crossed over the other and arms folded as he quirked a brow up at the huntress.

"You saved Accalia from being mauled to death," Cadence noted, narrowing her black eyes at him, "I guess I can say I'm thankful for that."

The awkwardness quickly shifted with Accalia getting off the bed, scooting over to Cadence and lightly shoving her with her hand. "Now that you know that, you should know that he was a Canus pack member."

"Yeah, I gathered that Lilybelle." Cadence retorted with a grin and went to pinch her cheek.

Accalia slapped her out reaching hand and Cadence's smile only widened. "Stop calling me that. He was sent from Zenith and Cole's pack, they're a united pack, Cadence."

Cadence made a face and got to her feet. "Serious?"

Lycus leant off the wall and strolled to Accalia's side, not enough to brush against her but to shroud her body in his presence. "He was sent as a messenger, maybe to kill Accalia, but ultimately to be a symbol of war. It seems they've grown tired of my ruling and want me gone, including my mate." Lycus explained.

Accalia hadn't got that far ahead in giving her cousin a thorough explanation of the turn events that recently unfolded — not with Cadence's constant blubbering and questioning. As soon as she heard that a werewolf trespassed into Lycus's lands and started on Accalia, Cadence couldn't be informed of anything without growing vengeful.

And Accalia hasn't even gotten to the best part yet. The part where Cadence will want to leave a hellfire in her wake as she wielded silver and a mighty force to take down everyone in her path.

"Melina Thrax has it out for us, Cadence, she described the pack what I look like and who I am to Lycus. Before the male died, he said she'd be after you for what you did to her arm." Accalia told her cousin.

For a moment, Accalia stood baffled at her cousin's reserved nature, stoic and rather placid toward the information being given. That was until she faced Lycus, a grim expression fixing across her face.

"I don't know whether I should kill you or kill Melina, perhaps both will do." Cadence took a step toward him and Accalia immediately stood between them.

"No Cadence," Accalia warned, her back brushing against Lycus's hard chest.

Cadence looked over Accalia's head and sent Lycus a look that would send any sane person running. "Why, huh? This is all his fault. If he didn't let us go when the Alphas were on their way here for their stupid get together, we'd be in the all clear. Don't deny it Accalia when you damn well know it."

Accalia looked down, not going against her cousin's words when she knew was right, brutally and righteously right. But she had to move past that now more than ever.

Past Lycus locking her in a cellar for being at a loss of finding her as a mate. Push aside his relent to let her go for both their sakes. Being ridden of Lycus sleeping with a she-wolf that is hellbent on killing her and Cadence and face the matter at hand of Alphas wanting Lycus dead, including the people he's connected to. Connected to hunters that would never consider being a part of this unless it would be to string lycans up and have them killed due to their wretched curse.