23

Setting sun
~
Cadence
~

She told me to be careful this full moon, Cadence thought to herself. She told me.

The oracle, Vaela, told Cadence this exact piece of information and laid it out before her, was the disaster that reaped through the Fenris pack. Lycans and werewolves dead, bodies rotting and to bury.

Vaela knew a catastrophic event would take place and as the clock struck the full moon, it did.

Cadence crouched down, whacking her hair out of her face as she piled stick upon stick on top of each other, framing them into a wooden mountain to be lit into a blazing flame.

After walking for hours, Cadence retracing her steps back to the cave, she managed to find it through memory; trekking it to the creek that lead her back to the place she was held captive in not long ago.

The dome of it, like rocks had fallen in had a crack of sunlight blinding through gave Cadence the sight to see her surroundings much clearer.

In the morning, when Gabriel informed Accalia and Cadence of the news, Cadence couldn't find it in herself to care. It wasn't news for her to process as devastating, but just a piece of information that only lead to more questions that aren't answered.

Who would have done this?

Many of her ideas had been crossed out by the time she left the house after lying about sleeping at Erisa's for the night. Cadence knew it was a good lie, but not one she could run with for long. Suspicions will arise, how could they not?

Cadence knew she needed to tread carefully, but that didn't rule out the possibility that Alexene was behind those murders last night and every possible evidence pointed to her in Cadence's eyes.

It made sense. Too much sense. Maybe Alexene wanted to send a message to Lycus. A message Cadence had no clue could mean.

But that didn't matter, this little plan wasn't going to work with Cadence and after today, she'll be shoving it right in Alexene's face.

The bitch can try toying with me, Cadence maliciously concluded as she picked her knife off the ground and twirled it between her long fingers.

Cadence wasn't armed last time, weak and easily manipulated due to the events that shaped her into a docile and compliant girl that needed to get out of the situation fast. Too much happened that day, weeping her into tiredness and feebleness. It won't happen again.

You don't threaten the lives of a hunter's family and expect to get away with it.

Cadence won't comply this time, she'll have her knife slicing into Alexene's throat so fast she won't see it coming.

It was dusk now, the skies cooling over with plum purple and deep blue. The sun had settled behind the trees, slowly disappearing from view with flickers of searing sun rays.

Sighing, Cadence whipped out her lighter and flicked it on until a little flame came into view.
Grabbing a piece of paper from her bag, she ripped it out and lit it up, throwing it in the base of the sticks.

Cadence jumped over the stream and sat down by her bag, waiting as time passed by painfully slow. An hour almost withered by once nighttime crept in and when it did, footsteps bustled through the cave. Cadence shot to her feet, whipping her knife behind her.

Alexene was much shorter than Cadence, but she seemed quite firm in her stance as she wandered on in, pale face agleam against the flames, hair out of the face and eyes, bloody. But Cadence couldn't ignore the innocence that met Alexene's features, she had a baby face, mirroring the appearance of a young teenager.