18

Don't wake the dead
~
Accalia
~

Patience was typically a trait Accalia gratefully possessed, patience when it came to her father's overbearing ways, tolerance for her cynical brother and time for her cousin, but this morning it was hanging on a thread, threatening to snap.

Gabriel directed Accalia to her destination as she crossed his path, informing her of the good news of her cousin's unsettled return, which seeped relief into Accalia like an injection— but, it was Lycus on her radar today.

She didn't give herself time to thank him as she adamantly took off down the hall, the light from the sun creeping away and this area of the house glooming in darkness.

She had peeped through the room Cadence slumbered in and immediately closed it once she realised how asleep she was. Pillow over her head, entangled in the blanket and small snores escaping her mouth. Accalia left without a sound.

Her mental compass pointed to the north side of the huge house, directing to where Lycus lingered in and once she found his bedroom door after searching, she didn't even bother to knock and barged in.

And she wished she knocked.

A black towel wrapped securely around Lycus's waist, hanging lowly and unveiling the muscled form that wasn't painted in blood and dirt but gleamed with a dewy glow.

Accalia swallowed, her throat drying and she almost lost her voice at the sight. But when her eyes moved up to his face, his amber eyes glowing, the reason why she came here unannounced quickly flooded her mind.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Accalia chided angrily.

Lycus's brows shot up, a taunting look smearing his handsome features and he ran a hand through his wet black hair. "First of all, learn when to knock and second of all, you fell asleep in the car and you needed to rest."

Accalia folded her arms over her chest and she could've sworn his eyes flashed with darkness before returning to normal. "Could've woken me up today and told me that my cousin came back here. Why'd she come back here of all places?"

She couldn't withhold the poison that flared her tongue, it was all too confronting for her not to say something about this.

Lycus pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes as if hearing Accalia's noise was like a blaring siren to his ears. "I don't know. She passed out before I could get anything out of her and I didn't care to wake you up because you needed sleep. And by the way, we don't know if it was Zenith that took Cadence."

Riddled with confusion, being at a loss of who else would want to kidnap Cadence, Accalia quickly denied this. Of course, the Larren family had a long loss of enemies which intertwined with Accalia and Cadence, but something didn't add up.

Scanning Lycus's face with keen provision, she slowly shook her head, not believing that for a second. Zenith wanted to come after Cadence, wanted to hurt her for what she did to his sister, it could only lead to him.

Except if ... Lycus was involved with this somehow, meddled his way into it in whatever sly ways he can and intentionally plotting this to arise.

He didn't like Cadence, after all.

But it trails back to another idea, that he's withholding information, knows more than what he letting on and isn't saying anything for whatever that reason is.

Accalia considered all the possibilities with her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

He seemed quick to dismiss Zenith being the culprit, and that all the more pulled Accalia into the suggestion of him being involved in this. Her head lead to Zenith, the smug and uppish Alpha that could be the one that took Cadence. It made much more sense, how quickly things escalated throughout the arguments, the threats that were made and within a matter of hours, Cadence was gone without a trace.