7

A wound to heal
~
Accalia
~

To Accalia's disbelief, Lycus kept to his word and had his brother lead the way to where Cadence was.

In all honestly, she was more surprised she wasn't being led to her grave.

Accalia inspected Gabriel's rigid and taunt presence. He glanced over his stiff shoulders every few seconds to ensure the hunter was struck trailing behind him and not formulating another escape plan.

Accalia's heart quickened every time he did so, sweat matting her forehead at the unwanted attention. That's what caused her to leave her gaze to the ground and realise Gabriel hated being in her presence as much as she did.

But when he opened a door and lead them into a cool room, his existence disappeared like a ghost.

Accalia almost dashed to the bed Cadence laid upon, but feeling eyes on her, she tattled over and watched her peaceful looking cousin. However, her cousin still had that harsh look on her face, even while she slept.

Accalia almost smiled at that but stopped when she reminded herself who was in this room other than them.

"Can't you go?" Accalia almost spat but kept her voice levelled and even. But she couldn't contain that anger when she watched him from the corner of the room, looking like a shadow.

Gabriel's lip twitched, but he gave a nod, leaving the room and closing the door behind them.

Accalia breathed a sigh of relief as she slumped into a chair beside the bed, craning her arms onto the mattress as she gauged her cousin's appearance.

Cadence's dark olive skin had lost its colour, revealing that lifelessness Accalia believed had become of her back in the car wreck. The paleness of her lips was cracked with dry blood, a plaster was aided to the corner of her head but even then, you could see dots of crimson.

"This should be me, Cadence," Accalia muttered, caressing her cousin's hand with gentle strokes. She would hate that if was she wakeful and energetic. Cadence wasn't fond of human contact unless it was to punch someone. "Should be me."

Accalia was raised in a world where hunters are seen as the bringers of justice and honour, their intentions pure and hopeful just as the shade white. The colour is achromatic, without hue and is the lightest of all colours.

Lycans are spoiled and defiled, emitting nothing but a threat that must be eliminated, never befriended, allied or connected to. They depicted the shades of blackness in this world where they are absent of light, hidden from the world but no less, filled with power and authority.

It was this extremist of thinking where Accalia wanted nothing but a middle ground to stand on. A grey area. Not where black and white is the foundation of one's life, shaping Accalia into having to deem herself as one thing or nothing at all.

And it seemed Accalia was at a loss in greyness, being the intermediate colour between black and white. It made her feel balanced for once in her life although she felt more out of touch and out of control than ever before. She was in the middle of two worlds, living between the extremes of black and white, hunter and Lycan now.

The door knocked and in walked three figures.

Accalia froze, eyes narrowing and scanned each individual intensely. She supposed she could breathe a little better with Lycus not being among the three, but there was his brother and two other females.