10

Regretful nights & Damned lives
~
Accalia
~

Accalia cringed against the harsh sun peeking through the window and opened her eyes to the streams of light breaking her out of sleep.

She didn't move, no movement of her body was made as she gazed out the window, trying to gather enough strength to get up.

Yawning, Accalia shoved her cousin's arms off her and sat up, shedding away that dead weight sensation wanting to keep her in bed.

This was exactly why Accalia hated sharing a bed with Cadence Larren. She never slept still, always restless and unsteady as though even in her dreams she's on a hunt. Accalia pondered if she was the one being hunted in her dreams than the other way around in her real wakeful life.

After last night, after her conversation with Lycus that still lingered with her like a tattoo, Cadence had made her way over to Accalia's bedroom and made her own space on the bed, sleeping as soon as her head touched the pillow.

Accalia thought it best not to dwell on the words she exchanged with him and didn't bother gossiping them to Cadence. It was bad enough being in the same house as him, let alone reciting the conversation to someone else and unearthing information she wanted to be kept buried.

Accalia wasn't trusting of Gabriel and Nina, even with the formality and kindness they have shown. It wouldn't be overlooked or undermined by her watch, that was the main reason she wanted Cadence bunking in with her, a knife under her pillow wasn't enough but Accalia slept somewhat comfortably all things considering.

Even with Cadence's constant kicking and throwing of hands. Accalia would rather wake up to that than the black eyes of a lycan looming above her.

Doubtfully, Accalia thought she could sense those eyes still on her, roaming over her sleeping form, gauging the details of her thoughts and would stalk her until she met her grave.

Accalia shook her head, attempting to shake off the paranoid ideas that wouldn't fix anything. He's not watching me. Accalia reassured herself.

Finding no use in pitying herself, Accalia threw off the comforter and placed it over Cadence before getting to her feet. She readied the day ahead like a battle was on the horizon, all the while Cadence snored away.

Accalia was sure she was losing her clutches of sanity as she pulled her knitted cardigan over her shoulder and watched her back with every step she took downstairs. When reaching the bottom floor, she scanned every object and inch of the house with apprehension.

She didn't like this. Having the freedom to roam through his home whilst not knowing where he was.

His bedroom? Accalia didn't know why she wondered that, but it cautioned her to consider where it could be. She didn't care to know, only cared to reinforce that bridge between them and not have nervousness seep into her pores that he could just wander on out and ruin the proximity just to get under her skin.

After their fight, Accalia slept with one eye open and was clinging to the protection she couldn't have here. She would never have protection in the company of a lycan and Lycus would be the brute cause of that.

Lycus is a lycan, a killing machine that could destroy everything in his path without trying and cause upheaval if he wished. He could do the same to her.

Accalia is a hunter, but against a lycan is a different story entirely; where turning the page only leads to the unpredictability of one's circumstances. Only the best-trained hunter could take one down as simply as killing a werewolf.