38

Part I
The coffin in the cave
~
Cadence
~

The forest was blanketed in black, the headlight unveiling the bleak and dreary woodland that were encompassed with trees that nestled tightly together in a weaving labyrinth.

Frankie was right, this would be the place to bury someone.

Tristan put the car in park, but no one made the move of getting out, watching the woods intently that seemed to welcome them with a dark delight.

"That's creepy as fuck," Erisa piped up and clutched Cadence's shoulders, moving off her seat. "Not only are we doing this at night, but with a nocturnal creature. All of us signed away our deaths."

Cadence turned the music down, the tunes no longer offering any comfort. She clicked off the seat belt that seemed to tighten around her as if a snake was wrapped around her, preparing to crush her bones.

She patted at her pocket for what felt like the hundredth time and was met with the harsh metal. A breath sigh left her lips and faced Tristan whose face had suddenly turned grave.

"Do you have any torches?" Cadence asked Tristan.

"In the back."

Cadence got out, no air or sounds to greet her, just the crackling beneath her feet and dead silence.

Strolling to the back of the car, Cadence lifted the boot and used her phone as a flashlight to scour through the many duffle bags and pieces of junk Tristan had.

She loaded her arms with lanterns, headlamp flashlights and other items that could be useful. She wasn't about to be bathed in darkness if Tristan switched the car off to save petrol and battery.

Loading up her arms with as much as she could carry, she closed the boot and turned to head back to the car.

"Hello, Cadence Larren," a voice echoed through the blurry darkness.

Cadence froze in her steps and narrowed her eyes, the flashlight revealing the shadowy figure.

"Alexene," Cadence responded curtly. Behind her, a peel of doors opened and slammed. "I brought some friends, I hope you don't mind."

Alexene came closer to the light, her porcelain skin harsh as marble and ghostly pale, brightening her ruby red eyes. She smiled wickedly, eyes stuck on Cadence. "Everyone needs a friend, Cadence Larren."

Cadence wondered what she met by that, but didn't dwell on it. She handed a lantern to Erisa, a flashlight to Tristan and a headlamp torch because she didn't trust Thea to not drop anything if she needed to run.

Cadence placed her hand into her front pocket and pulled out the pretty necklace that dangled before Alexene.

An arousing hunger scorned across her youthful features and her teeth bared, revealing sharp fangs.

"Want this?" Cadence asked, a hint of tease in her tone.

Alexene looked to the hunters, fangs baring and eyes brighter than before. Her watchful gaze locked onto Thea, annoyance crossing her face. "Don't fret, little one, I ate before I arrived."

Thea trembled and flung herself into Erisa's side, looping her arm through hers so she wouldn't leave her.

Erisa jutted her chin and squared up. "You look to be about her age." She observed, scanning the vampire.

"Try a few hundred years older, Erisa Jaeger." Alexene grinned.

Erisa's face paled bone white

Alexene's black hair curtained her demonic face, showing her long nose and white teeth. "I've known hunters for a very long time ... that's part of the reason how I am familiar with all of you."