31

Beneath Moonlight
~
Accalia
~

There were three things that Accalia expected when waking up: reaching for a dagger under her pillow for safety measures, hearing pounding on the door by her father and seeing the haunting black eyes of her cousin, Cadence.

Instead, she was welcomed in a cocoon of heat that lathered her body in sweat from a body pressed up against her and a strong arm wrapped around her like she could disappear if he let go.

She was clear on personal space, but that went out the window as soon as they were in proximity with each other.

Huffing, she relaxed into his touch and watched the mist draw over the forest this early morning, blurring the Fenris lands in a dreary and maddening grey that settled thickly and dense throughout, evading the sun and anything else in its midst.

"It will clear up soon," Lycus informed Accalia into her ear, his breath tickling her neck.

Jumping, she angled her to face him, taking in those handsome features that were fixed with tiredness and exhaustion. Sleep didn't do him any good.

Before Accalia could ask why that was the case, Lycus slipped out of the bed and ruffled his hair.

She watched him and her heart clenched like someone was clasping it with their hand. His stubble had grown these past few days, making him look more manly and primal to the eye. Accalia preferred it, there was something more roguish and handsome about him now.

Accalia looked away when Lycus caught onto her long stare, watching the mist slowly dance through the wood, coming close to the house.

Her lips tingled with the aftermath of what happened late last night and was glad that morning came quickly. She slept soundly, although the security of a lycan sleeping behind her would typically set her on edge with a knife in her hand, she felt secure. Protected even.

"What's going to happen now?" Accalia didn't know to what extent she was meaning.

"Breakfast." Lycus grinned.

——

When Lycus and Accalia came downstairs together, another presence lingered in the quiet house.

The Beta was in the kitchen making coffee when they strolled in together and Accalia immediately wanted to turn back around.

In many regards, Tala reminded Accalia of Cadence. Their stance was always ready to be commanded by their superiors and follow through with orders. Taking out the threat. They weren't the type to take a liking to the unknown or converse with their enemies.

Tala's face didn't contort in disgust the way Accalia imagined she would when she came into the kitchen. The Beta merely sipped her coffee and sat on the kitchen bench, looking to her Alpha.

"Morning, Alpha," Tala greeted, lowering her head respectfully.

"Tala," Lycus responded and poured himself some coffee. "Want some Accalia?"

"No, thank you," Accalia responded and sat down, tucking her fist under her chin. She lost her appetite as soon as she saw the wolf that most likely wants her dead.

"What's on the agenda today, Alpha?" Tala asked and sat her cup down, all attention casted on Lycus.

Lycus gestured to Accalia and said, "The reason I called you over here is that you're watching over her for the day and possibly the week."

"What!" Tala yelled and a growl hitched out of her throat.

Accalia immediately got to her feet and protested, "That's not necessary, Lycus," she sent a look to Tala who was fuming, eye gleaming with gold, "This just won't work seeing as ..."