Chapter 4

===========================♛===========================

"How are you doing, Rick?" I asked stepping into the bedroom Rick laid in.

"I'm doing alright. You don't need to check up on me every half an hour," Rick chuckled lightly. 

"I know. I just want to make sure you're taking care of yourself," I said. 

"Thanks but I think I know how to take care of myself. I changed my bandage twenty minutes ago," Rick said.

"I know that you can take care of yourself. Its just-"

"You're scared you're gonna lose me like we lost everybody else." Rick interrupted me. I averted my eyes from his and nodded. Rick sighed and held his arms open. "Come here."

"I don't want to hurt you," I said but sat on the edge of the bed.

"You won't. Just lay down with me. I'll protect you," Rick said. He tugged on my arm lightly until I was laying on his chest. 

"Get some rest, Rick," I said. 

"You too," he said, wrapping his arms around me protectively. 

--------

I was jerked awake when I heard someone scream from downstairs. I got off Rick and reached for my knives. Rick checked his pocket watch. 

"How long until they get back?" I asked in a whisper.

"Twenty minutes," Rick whispered. He grabbed my arm and yanked me off the bed when we heard footsteps coming near us. "Under the bed."

"What?" I asked. 

"Under the bed. Now!" Rick repeated, pushing me towards the bed. I climbed under it while Rick grabbed his book off the bed. He then proceeded to crawl under it.

"Rick," I said in a hushed voice, grabbing onto his arm. He shook my hand up and reached towards the nightstand. He shuffled under the bed again when we saw feet walk across the hall. Rick crawled out from under the bed once more. He returned with a water bottle. My hands shook as we saw someone walk over to the bed. They stood in front of it with their gun pointed towards the ground. 

Rick reached over and grabbed my hand as we watched this man check the room. Once he thought it was clear, he climbed onto the bed. Rick and I had to push ourselves towards the ground. The man's weight made the bed sink down and creak loudly. 

--------

We laid under the bed for what felt like forever. I could only assume the man fell asleep when I heard loud snores coming from him. 

"Yo! Comfy?" Another man appeared at the entrance of the room. The man that laid on the bed snoring stopped. I held my breath again. 

"You waking me up to see if I'm comfortable?" The man on the bed asked.

"I want to lie down," replied the man who stood in the doorway.

"Two other bedrooms up here to choose," the other man said grumpily.

"Them's kids beds. I want this one." The man in the doorway walked closer to the bed. 

"It's claimed," the man that laid on the bed said through gritted teeth.

"I didn't hear it; You gonna have to lay claim somewhere else," the other man said. The two men began fighting and I let out a small gasp. Rick's hand flew up to cover my mouth. One of the men fell to the floor. Thankfully, he didn't see us. That was until he began to get strangled and his head was snapped towards us. 

"Len, stop!" The man said, struggling to breathe. Only Len didn't stop until he was dead.

"My bed now," Len said, climbing back onto the bed. I saw his foot dangle off the bed. I immediately shuffled towards Rick. We could hear Len start snoring.

"Come on," Rick mumbled to me. He slowly began to shuffle out from under the bed. I followed him. We heard people call out for the two men upstairs. Rick ran out of the room while I shuffled back under the bed. I placed my hand over my mouth. I could hear banging in the other room and then the banging slowly came toward me.

I could hear people screaming about a woman or something. Len climbed off the bed and followed his friends downstairs. I climbed out from under and saw Rick. I ran over to him when I heard someone coming back upstairs. Rick pulled me into the bathroom, quietly shutting the door after us. I let out a strangled gasp when I felt an arm wrap around my throat. My knives fell to the floor. As I stumbled backwards with the guy strangling me, I slipped on my knives. I started to fall to the ground and felt my airways become clear. When I looked behind me, Rick was strangling the fat guy that was once strangling me. They tumbled around the small bathroom.

"Window," Rick whispered to me. I nodded and ran over to the window. As I threw open the window, I heard all the struggling stop. Rick had killed the man. I picked up my knives from the floor, securing them on my hips. Rick pointed his gun at the bathroom door for a moment, just in case. Rick walked over to the bathroom door and opened it just a smidge. "Go."

"Is now a bad time to mention I'm afraid of heights?" I asked, climbing out the window. Rick came out after me. 

"I'll go down first and then I'll help you down," Rick whispered to me. I nodded and moved away from the window. Rick grabbed onto the roof, slowly lowering himself down. He fell to the ground with a loud thump but nobody seemed to notice. 

"Are you alright?" I asked leaning over the edge of the roof despite my erratic heartbeat. 

"Yes. Come down! I'll catch you!" Rick called up to me. With shaly hands, I grabbed onto the rooftop. Only my hands slipped. I fell into Rick's waiting arms. 

"Thanks," I muttered. Rick nodded and motioned for me to follow him. Together we ran around the back of the house and to the front. We went slow and carefully, hiding beside the porch. I pulled out one of my knives when we heard a door open. Then we heard a ball hit the porch beside us.

===========================♛===========================