Chapter 36

Rick jumped forward, his body latching onto Carl's as he picked up his passed-out son

Rick jumped forward, his body latching onto Carl's as he picked up his passed-out son. I felt a wave of fear run through me as Michonne and I slices a pathway for Rick. We rushed to the infirmary building we had. Denise, Aaron, and Heath had the door wide open, haven seen us coming. 

"This is the gunshot?" Denise asked quickly, springing into action. I stood by the door, sobs leaving my mouth at a fast pace.

"Handgun. Close range," Michonne breathed out. 

"Please save him," Rick said as he stumbled away from Carl. 

"Rick. Rick, it's okay. He'll be fine," I sniffled, gently touching Rick's shoulder. 

"That's gonna draw them here," Aaron exclaimed as Denise turned on a light. The pale orangish light-filled a glow over the room. 

"I need light," Denise shot back. Michonne walked over to us, and I moved out of her way so she could take off Rick's bloody sheet. "Michone, towel. Hold it here."

"Okay," Michonne said, quickly walking over and doing as Denise instructed. I looked at a broken Rick, pulling the taller man into a hug. 

"It's okay," I mumbled, into his shoulder. I wasn't sure who I was trying to convince. Me or him?

"Okay, we need to keep pressure on the wound. I'll go in and sew up any lacerations," I heard Denise explain.

"Rick?" I called out as Rick pulled away from me, walking over to the door. I tore off my own sheet, tossing it on the ground. 

"Just like that. Now, Spencer, I need that pan. That one on the tray. Good. I'm going to clean and close this," Denise said as she continued to work on Carl.

"No, Rick. Don't," I said as I notice Rick turn towards the door. He peered out the covered window before pulling his axe out. "No, Rick!"

"Rick, what are you doing? Rick! Rori, do not go after him!" I barely registered Michonne's voice as I moved to follow Rick. I pulled one of my throwing knives out, not hesitating to follow Rick out there. I pulled the door shut behind me. 

"Rick, come back! Don't do this Rick!" I yelled as I ran down the stairs, stabbing a walker in the head as I went. I watched Rick pound his axe in the walkers' heads, kicking them to the ground. 

"Rick, stop this! I'll cover you, just come back in!" I screamed, slashing a walker in the head. I noticed Michonne and everyone else, besides Denise, run out of the doorway. They joined in on covering Rick's and I's back as the six of us worked on killing these walkers. It was a simple process. Stab, pull, push. 

"Knock them away! Drive 'em down!" Rick explained loudly over all the walkers moaning. More people soon joined us in slicing the walkers apart. "We can beat 'em. We can beat 'em!" I stabbed a walker that was coming close to Rick. He looked at me with a nod.

"I got your back, Rick. I have ever since the farm, and I still do," I told him, wiping furiously at the tears spilling out of my eyes. Our group, and the people that were joining, moved down the streets and helped us slash the walkers in the head. Heck, even Gabriel join.  I threw a knife into a walker's head, leaving it as the walker fell to the ground and moved on to the next. All the pent-up anger and fear helped fuel me. I heard gunshots ring through the air, and god, I never wanted to hear that sound again. First a few, then rapid shots fired. I looked up momentarily. It was Abraham and Sasha. Slight relief flooded through me. 

I didn't have much time to pay attention to them though, as a walker approached me. I gripped its boney and rotten shoulder, stabbing it in the head. I pushed it to the ground. The Alexandria group formed a tight circle as we reached the edge of the walls. 

"Move it! Back up!" Rick yelled and everyone moved to follow his order, me beside him as everyone backed up. Fire spread out through the bond, and I moved my hand to shield my eyes. The walkers were drawn to the fire and fell in. I sucked in a breath. "Don't let up!" I cried silently as I went back to killing walkers. Blood splattered all over my clothes, a bloody knife, snot, and wet eyes as I worked with everyone else to save Alexandria. Most walkers got drawn to the fire, but there was still a lot who we had to kill. It felt like hours, but in reality, it was only minutes of us hitting walkers before it was over. 

"Aurora!" I turned at the call of my name, tears filling my eyes. 

"Matt!" I cried, running over to him and Will. He gripped my arms, looking me up and down.

"Theo. Where's Theo?" He asked hurriedly. 

"The church. He's safe, Matt. I promise," I cried to him and he nodded, pulling me into a quick hug before running in the direction of the church.

"Thanks, Rori," Will whispered and I nodded, watching him follow in the footsteps of his brother. 

"Rori!" Another voice called out and almost instantly I recognized it.

"Dad!" I ran towards him, flinging my arms around his neck. 

"Oh, my sweet baby girl," Mom came over and joined the hug, gently stroking my hair as the three of us cried together.

"Enid. Is Enid okay?" I asked, pulling away. 

"I'm okay," I heard Enid's voice and turned to look at her. Not even bothering to ask her, I pulled her into a hug. I felt Enid hesitate but eventually wrapped her arms around me. 

"Alright, come on, Rori. Let's head to the infirmary and get your Mom checked out," Dad's voice cut in mine and Enid's reunion. I quickly broke away from Enid and turned to look at my parents. 

"Mom? Are you okay?" I asked, directing the question at her. 

"Yeah, Baby, I'm okay. But uh," Mom paused, sharing a look with Dad.

"Rori, your mom's pregnant," Dad finished for Mom. I looked over at him, my mouth falling open before I glared at the pair.

"You're kidding," I scoffed, crossing my arms. My parents shared another look.

"No, we thought you'd be overjoyed you get to have a sibling," Mom said, stepping toward me. I scoffed once more.

"After what happened tonight, you think bringing a baby into this world is something to be excited about? The baby will die before it even gets a chance to live!" I yelled, furious.

"Rori, your Mom was pregnant before this even happened. We didn't know-"

"Didn't know? Anything could happen at any fucking time, Dad," I quickly interrupted. 

"Hey, watch your mouth," he warned me. 

"You know what, screw this. I'm going to check on Theo." With one final glare at the two, I turned on my heel and walked away. Moments later I heard footsteps behind me.

"You know, it wasn't planned. You can't be mad at Maggie and Glenn for an accident," Enid said from behind me.

"Yeah? Well, watch me," I snapped, keeping my eyes straight ahead of me. I noticed one of the walkers we were about to pass had one of my throwing knives in its head and bent down to pull it out before continuing walking. 

"Judith was an accident, and look how she turned out. She's safe and alive," Enid tried to reason, but at this very moment, I was fresh with emotions and sadness, anger, and even a little fear, and didn't want to hear it.

"Just fuck off, Enid. I'm not in the mood," I told her and I heard her go quiet, then the footsteps stop. 

"Fine."