Chapter 38

"Look," Enid pointed at a balloon on the ground

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Look," Enid pointed at a balloon on the ground. I squinted slightly against the sun as she picked it up. There was a note sitting on top of the balloon,

"What's it say?" Carl asked. Enid opened it, and I glanced over her shoulder, but the note was near impossible to read.

"It got wet. It's all gone," Enid sighed.

"Come on," Carl said, grabbing my hand and pulling me with him. Enid was quick to follow, the note still in her hand.

"It doesn't look that old," Enid said as she observed the paper.

"Yeah?"

"It might not be. I mean, it rained last week, didn't it?" I asked, looking through the trees as I followed Carl.

"Mhm. I mean, we can't read what they wrote, but just by doing this, they're saying something," Enid continued, coming to walk beside me.

"What?" Carl questioned

"We're not alone," Enid replied with a small laugh. 

"We knew that. We saw it. People died," Carl said, and it went quiet for a minute.

"Why do we come out here?" Enid asked.

"'Cause, we're kids. It's what they do," Carl answered. 

"Yeah, and we need time away from all those grumpy adults," I laughed.

"We're not kids," Enid sighed again.

"Don't be a buzz kill, Enid," I said, giving her a look with a soft smile. "Oh, shoot!" I lifted my already dirty converse, which now had a thick glob of mud on it. 

"Careful. Don't hit me with your muddy foot!" Enid exclaimed, stepping away from me. I rolled my eyes and kept walking, trying to rub my foot on the grass. 

"You think the grounds safe to sit on?" Carl asked as we reached our spot, which had a log on the ground for us to rest our backs against. It was our spot for just the three of us. I pulled out two comic books from a metal crate we had brought out here, one for Carl and one for me. Enid was too busy observing the note.

"It should be okay. I think it was just that one spot I stepped on," I said, gently sitting down. Enid came over and sat on the left side of me, while Carl was on the right. 

"Oo, is that beef jerky?" Enid questioned, reaching into the crate and pulling out a pack of beef jerky I found in one of the kitchen cabinets at my house. She returned to my side, sitting down.

"Yep," I said, popping the 'p' as she stuffed a piece in her mouth. She handed me a piece, to which I handed to Carl who now had his sheriff hat off. He took it and quickly ate it. Enid handed me another piece for myself, which I chewed slowly to savor it as I began to read. We continued this for a while before we heard leaves rustle. The three of us were immediately alert, standing up.