Chapter 35

I smeared some more walker guts on Theo

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I smeared some more walker guts on Theo.

"We need to move. You, then me," Rick said, holding up the rotten, bloody stomach of a walker towards Jessie.

"I'll do it," Jessie said, smearing guts onto the cloth laying over her body.

"Mom?" I glanced up to see Jessie's other son, Sam. I glanced at him before continuing to rub guts on Theo's small body. I heard Sam begin to cry as Jessie spoke to him but ignored him. 

"I want you to stick close to me or Carl when we go out there, Theo. Do you understand?" I asked, looking into his eyes. Theo nodded. Michonne stepped out of the room quietly, peaking over the railing.

"We have to go," Michonne whispered. Rick nodded, stepping out of the room. 

"We're ready," Jessie said, her hands on Sam's shoulders. I took Theo's hand into my own. "Ron?"

"Yeah," Ron said.

"I'll get Judith," Rick announced. 

"Rick," Gabriel stopped Rick. "I'm not gonna give up out there. I will not turn back, no matter what happens."

"Yeah, I know," Rick nodded. Carl looked over at me, grabbing Theo's other hand. I knew Theo was scared, hell I was too, but this was our only chance out of here. Rick came back with Judith in his arms, and Jessie lifted up Carl's walker-filled shirt. Rick gently placed Judith under it and Carl wrapped his arms around her. I think Judith knew something was up and knew she had to be quiet. I was glad she wasn't screaming right now, otherwise, I think we'd be dead. Carl gently bounced Judith to keep her calm. Rick went down the stairs first, moving the coach. Walkers stepped closer to us, but let us through. 

I stood behind Carl, and in front of Jessie with Theo barely behind me. I wanted to burst into tears, but I didn't have time to. Now was not the time. When we stepped onto the porch, walkers crowding the streets were the first thing I saw. Heck, it was the only thing I saw. The home that we had barely been in, was covered in walkers. Destroyed. I looked at Carl, then at Jessie, as I grabbed Carl's hand and Jessie grabbed Theo's. Everyone walked in a line, all holding hands as we pushed through walkers. 

"Mom?" I barely heard Sam call out between all the gurgles and moans of walkers. I'm not sure the last time I felt this scared. My ears were ringing, and all I could think about was my parents. I had no idea where dad or mom was. And with this many walkers, it added more fear. We made it by a bush that was near a pond to regroup. 

"Alright, new plan. Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers, too spread out. We're not going to the armory. We need our vehicles back at the quarry. All of us drive. We'll need to round 'em up. We leave, we come back," Rick explained quietly. 

"Okay," Jessie nodded before shaking her head, "But Judith to the quarry and back, I..." Rick looked around frustrated, knowing Jessie was right. 

"I'll take her," Gabriel volunteered. Rick turned to look at him. "Keep her safe in my church until you all lead the walkers away."