Chapter 73

Mom joined us and the group hiked up a hill

Mom joined us and the group hiked up a hill. The only things in the distance were lots of open fields and trees. I walked beside Carl, ready to see Negan die, and as bad as it sounded, I hoped he would die a slow, painful death. 

He deserved it after everything he did. I looked up as we came to a stop.

"Oh, Jesus," I heard Rosita breathe out as everyone turned to look to their left. Walkers were down the hill. Hundreds, thousands of them.

"Holy damn. You ever seen one that big?" Jerry asked Rick.

"No. Things are changing. Let's go," Rick said, and we were off.

"How much farther?" Daryl asked, his crossbow slung over his shoulder.

"We grow closer. Yonder, over the ridge," Ezekiel explained. I stayed quiet, walking beside Carl. There was so much I wanted to say to him. Part of me wanted to call him an ass, but the other part wanted me to tell him how much I loved him. I froze, hearing the familiar whistle. Everyone paused, aiming their guns and looking around.

"Well, damn, Rick, look at that. Pegged again. Pegged so very hard," Negan teased over the walkie-talkie. He wasn't in eyesight yet. "I ambushed your ambush with an even bigger ambush."

"How about you step out and face us?" Rick yelled loudly.

"Oh, I am everywhere, Rick," Negan said in reply. "Some more bullhorns, more walkies. Pick a direction to run. See how you do. Make it fun for all of us. Guess what else I did. I brought you some of your old friends. You remember your old buddy Eugene?"

Ugh, Eugene. I never liked that guy, even from the start. He was a know-it-all jackass to me, so I didn't mind when he betrayed us. I wanted him gone.

"Well, he is the person that made today possible. Same goes for Dwighty boy here. In case you were wondering, he didn't ream you on purpose. No, he is just a gutless nothin' that sucks at life, and now he gets to stand up here and watch you all die, and he's gonna live with that," Negan explained to us.

I turned, eyeing my surroundings. Where the hell was Negan? He was toying with us, that much I knew. As for Dwight, he wasn't my favorite person but that didn't mean I hated him.

"Gabriel, well he's got to go, too," Negan said.

Gabriel never bothered me. I mean, there was a point when he was suspicious of us, but after that he was fine. Really, sometimes I like to think he saved me. Got us a place to stay for a while.

"We are cleaning house today, Rick. And then, there's you. It never had to be a fight. You just had to accept how things are. So, here we go. Congratulations, Rick." With that, the walkie-talkie clicked and we awaited his next move. 

"Three!" I turned, looking up the hill, paranoia creeping up on me.

"Two!" We were all on edge. 

"One!" Suddenly, we saw them. Hundreds of people standing at the top of the hill. Everyone fired, but their guns malfunctioned and they shot themselves.

"Now!" Rick yelled, and we ran ahead, our guns ready to be fired. I shot one person, watching him fall to the ground. Dead. 

"He's running!" Mom said over the gunshots. God damn it, I was not letting him get away. 

"Carl, cover me," I said over my shoulder. 

"Damn it, Rori," Carl cursed, shooting a guy coming towards me. I rushed past, chasing after Negan.  

"Negan, oh Negan. Come out, come out, where ever you are," I called out. "I'm gonna kill you. Slow and painful."

"Rori." I turned at my name, seeing Rick. "I've got this."

"I want him dead, Rick," I said as Rick shot at him. Negan bent over, falling behind the tree. I stayed where I was, Carl joined me at my side as Rick ran down. He began to fight Negan but failed. He fell to the ground as Negan kicked him. I threw my knife, watching it knick Negan's ear. Negan put his hand to his ear, turning towards me. Rick took that opportunity to kick Negan. 

From the looks of it, Negan was in pain as he stood up. hunched over, gripping his stomach, his bat in hand. He seemed to be frozen, staring at Rick.

"What are they saying?" I asked Carl, watching the two talk. Suddenly, Rick went at Negan, slicing his throat open. Carl gasped, but I stared at them with a smile. Negan fell to the floor, blood spewing from his neck. I looked over at Mom, who looked relieved. 

Rick turned to us, his hand drenched in blood. "Save him," Rick ordered.

"No! No, he can't. No, he killed Glenn," Mom screamed and Michonne grabbed her as she kept screaming.

I scoffed turning to Carl. "Your dad's a fucking lying asshole," I spat out, pushing past him. I was done here.

"The ones who have them up, put your hands down," I heard Rick order and turned back to him. "We're all gonna go home now. Negan's alive."

My fists clenched at my sides.

"But his way of doing things is over. And anyone who can't live with that will pay the price, I promise you that," Rick said, coming up the hill. "And any person here who would live in peace and fairness, who would find common ground. This world is yours, by right. We are life. That's death. And it's coming for us. Unless we stand together. So go home. Then the work begins. The new world begins. All this is just what was. There's gotta be somethin' after."

I was glad Rick was done talking. I could stand his voice. Rick turned, walking past Negan, and god, I wanted to strangle Rick just as much I wanted to strangle Negan. He deserved to be dead. Negan wasn't going to get away with killing my dad. I turned, storming past Carl, and headed for Daryl.

"Did you ride your motorcycle?" I asked. 

"Parked a mile away," Daryl replied, eyeing me.

"Good. Let's go for a ride," I said, walking in front of him. I was so angry that all I could do was smile. I couldn't scream or cry, just smile.

-----------------

"Rori," Rick called out to me as I passed him. We were back at Hilltop and I just wanted to go to bed.

"What?" I asked, refusing to look at him.

"I know you're mad but-"

"I'm more than mad," I snapped, turning towards him. "From the very first day you arrived at the farm, I did nothing but stand beside you. Supported your every move even when nobody else did. The one time I need you to support me, you can't. My dad saved your fucking life and you couldn't even repay him by killing his murderer, and I'll never forgive you for that. You betrayed me beyond repair, Rick. I hope you know that."

"I do and I'm sorry. Really, I am," Rick told me.

"Sorry won't fix this." Without another word, I headed inside to begin to plan how I would kill Negan. Maybe not tomorrow, or next week, but someday I will kill him. He will die for what he has done.